Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Have you always enjoyed your bourbon straight?

Sorry for posting so many silly topics but if you read my into you'll see i bought many bottles and im waiting to test them out and i got sick lol so i gotta few more days, anyways im just wondering if most of you out there who drink your wiskey either neat or on the rocks have always liked it that way or if it was something you have to fight through then get to enjoy or what.

do you take big drinks or smaller sips?

when i mix my drinks i make them really strong and most my friends can't stand it and same when i do shots or drink straight liquore they can't stand it.

Connoisseur

Re: Have you always enjoyed your bourbon straight?

I have always drank my bourbon straight, especially since I stopped mixing it full time. I still enjoy a good bourbon and coke. Always strong, always big drinks.

The higher the proof straight, the smaller the sips. Unless you like your dick in the dirt?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    Unless you like your dick in the dirt?
    Is that a Texas saying? I never heard it before, but come to think of it, mine has been there a time or two.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Is that a Texas saying? I never heard it before, but come to think of it, mine has been there a time or two.
    Someone had a song titled 'Dick in the Dirt' but I can't recall who.

I never mixed bourbon. Bourbon and coke was always too sweet for me. When I started drinking bourbon it was always on the rocks. I still enjoy it that way but I now use fewer ice cubes. It's not a hard and fast rule but for me usually under 100 proof gets one, over 100 proof gets two. Really high barrel proofs get two or three. When I am trying a bourbon for the first time I always take it neat, though.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by thunderhead View Post
    I'm just wondering if most of you out there who drink your wiskey either neat or on the rocks have always liked it that way or if it was something you have to fight through then get to enjoy or what.
    Before I turned to bourbon, I used to enjoy Jack and Coke. When I switched to bourbon, it did not have the same flavor I liked so I left out the coke and just put ice in it. I drank it like that for a while and one day I decided to try a drink neat, no particular reason why, I just tried it. I have not looked back since. Now I drink all my bourbon straight and save the ice for a margarita or a coke. To me, ice seems to restrict a lot of flavors in the bourbon, it is hard to explain but if you do a side by side tasting with the same bourbon, one with ice and one without, you will be able to tell the difference.

I generally just sip while drinking. I rarely drink anything under 100 proof so to save the burn and to keep my dick out of the dirt, I just sip it.

when i mix my drinks i make them really strong and most my friends can't stand it and same when i do shots or drink straight liquor they can't stand it.

This seems like a bonus for you. More bourbon for you, less spent on your friends. When I order a drink out somewhere, people seem to look at me weird for drinking it straight, but then again, they do not drink bourbon. Hope this helps ya out!
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    When I order a drink out somewhere, people seem to look at me weird for drinking it straight, but then again, they do not drink bourbon.
    I get the same looks from people as well, like I'm some kinda hardcore boozer. I virtually always drink my bourbon neat but will occasionally add a drop of water (less than a teaspoon full) if I'm hitting something over 100 proof and it has an edge to it. I happen to like a little burn, so I'm generally not bothered by high octane, even if it's a barrel strength bottle. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Fighting Cock I bought not long ago which rounded out a bit and displayed a touch more sweetness when I added a splash. But as they say, drink 'em as you like. It's all good!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

just wondering if most of you out there who drink your wiskey either neat or on the rocks have always liked it that way or if it was something you have to fight through then get to enjoy or what.

I've always liked all my liquors straight. While my friends were trying Sloe Screws, Sloe Comfortable Screws, Fuzzy Balls and all the weirdly named drinks aimed at the young and randy, I was sipping my bourbon, rum, tequila, whatever.

The only exception was when my first wife's sister used to serve us sweet iced tea and rum on Uno (card game, not pizza) night.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Connoisseur

I drink all my bourbon neat with the exception of Stagg. I find I love all the barrel strengths just fine but the Stagg is just a little to much and I like to bring it down with a few drops of water to around 125 proof.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I can't begin to tell you how many bottles of very good bourbon I wasted by ONLY mixing them with Seven Up/Sprite or Ginger Ale. This is not to say you shouldn't mix. It's just that is all I did. Nowadays I overwhelmingly don't mix, with the ratio being 75% Neat/25% with Ice. Depends on my mood, season, weather, time, Braves score, etc.. If not bourbon straight, I'll mix with Ginger, or work up a Sazerac, Mint Julep, or Manhattan on occasion. These times are rare, but I tend to go with these cocktails before Sunday dinner.

I'm a sipper. Though, sometimes I sip in rapid succession.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I generally drink bourbon neat if it's excellent, with water if it's excellent but with overwhelming alcohol, and with coke if it's marginal.

Then again, I enjoy having a good Wellers 107 with a splash of coke at times. Sometimes, the the extra sweetness brings out a woodiness that the OWA doesn't have and I enjoy it. Sometimes I drink the OWA with a splash of RO water.

Last night, I tried OWA and Lot B and now I'm thinking that Lot B is exactly what is needed to take some of the fire out of OWA and bring out it's sweet woody flavor.

Here's the deal; I drink what I enjoy. I think everybody should do the same.