Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrels

Taster

barrels

I have been searching for barrels in the 1-2 gal size, charred not toasted.
    both of these sites have barrels from 2L. to 20L. with a medium char. and there pricing is the cheapest I've been able to find.

www.milehidistilling.com

www.thebarrelsource.com

Guru

Re: barrels

What are you going to do with the barrel?
    ovh

Guru

After staring at the girl in the cowboy hat for a while, I began to wonder if any of the hot plates used are rheostat controlled or are they just on/off. The ability to adjust the heat output would seem to be advantageous, finer kettle temp control, you know, if one was to distill their own, you know, water.

Then I stared at the girl a little longer and forgot to check out their barrels.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    After staring at the girl in the cowboy hat for a while, I began to wonder if any of the hot plates used are rheostat controlled or are they just on/off. The ability to adjust the heat output would seem to be advantageous, finer kettle temp control, you know, if one was to distill their own, you know, water.

Then I stared at the girl a little longer and forgot to check out their barrels.
    OK, now I'm going to have to look at the links. Brad, she better look like I hope she looks, and not just some fugly holding an AR-15.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

She's wearing a hat? I hadn't noticed.

Taster

I intend to do some experiments, such as rebarreling some bourbon and perhaps putting some clear into one or two.
    the results will be made available at sampler.

I think her name is Emerson. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Barrel Source products look like what Binny's has, probably the one liter model. Binny's has it for $40, if I remember correctly.

On the web site Barrel Source conflates charring and toasting, which is incorrect. I would probably ask them to clarify that before I bought one, because which you want would depend on what you are trying to do. If you're working with new make (i.e., white dog), you probably want a real char. If you are rebarreling something that has already spent some time in charred wood, a medium toast would be just the thing.

I have heard that the spigots leak. They might be smart to make a model in which a simple thief (i.e., pipette) is provided instead of the spigot.

Disciple

I haven't had any spigot problems thus far. I'd suggest soaking the barrel with some water before you fill, or expect a very thirsty barrel. 2nd fill on these little barrel's seems to be a bit friendlier than 1st fill. fwiw.

Virtuoso

Do the distilleries add any water or spirits to a barrel to "season" it before filling with white dog?
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz