Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangle Ridge

Apprentice

Tangle Ridge

My father has enjoyed this whisky for many years. He has referred to it as a "bourbon whiskey" or a "straight bourbon whiskey", but after a quick search, it is obviously a Canadian (blended) rye whisky. Now that he knows that I like whiskey and bourbon particularly, he has simply raved about this product. I've seen it in his liquor cabinet -- the bottle is interesting, with a stopper like a canister (I don't know how else to describe it). I've also seen it in the Canadian section of the liquor store, although with a much less interesting label and bottle, and did not note a price.

Can anyone provide me with more information on Tangle Ridge? Who makes it, tasting notes, pricing, etc. I've never tried a Canadian (or any foreign) whisky, so I wouldn't know what to expect. Most of what I've read about Canadian whisky is not good, so somehow I think I'd be in for a disappointment. However, if it is a worthy product, I may give it a try. Any recommendations on other foreign products would be welcome! I may not try them, though (budgetary constraints -- only so much allocated per month and I like bourbon )

Enthusiast

Re: Tangle Ridge

I think Tangle Ridge is a pretty good Canadian, but some people think it is too sweet and "winey." I don't think it tastes anything like bourbon.

I don't really think any Canadian whiskies have a really strong similarity to bourbon. Perhaps Canadian Club 100 has a passing resemblance to some bourbons.

My favorate Canadian Whiskies on the US market would be: Century Reserve 13yo (single cask); Canadian Club sherrywood; Crown Royal Special Reserve; Alberta Premium (100% rye), the Forty Creek bottlings and Gooderham and Worts. Lot 40 (mostly malted rye) is also very highly regarded.

Disciple

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Crown Royal Special Reserve

[/QUOTE]

I think I like this one the best out of the few Canadian Whiskies I have tried. One a Semi-Related note, at the bourbon festival, in the Four Roses booth, they made note of Four Roses bourbon being used as a flavor whiskey in the Crown Royal blends. . . . . . .maybe THATS why I like it so much.

Tom C

Guru

A while back I bought a bottle of Hirsch Canadian Whiskey and I have to say tht it was one of my favorite and smoothest canadians, though I am by far not a huge fan of Canadian whiskies... I think it was aged 12 or 13 years and was about $30...

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I don't know how the organisational chart ties it in , but this is a cousin to JimBeam or is owned by them , Or Vice Versa. In 1995 Beams 200 anniversary they used that same bottle for a 95 Proof and some odd age like 75 months or something. I have One in the Bunker , I've been there once tonite I don't feel like heading back so soon. The first Tangle Ridge I saw had the ceramic stopper and rubber gasket affair and the wire clamping system similiar to old canning jars. The Tangle Ridge I have seen lately either is finished with a cork or screw top. There is something about blending the whiskey and letting them " Marry" in the wood. It's probably a decent pour, and if Canadian is your thing I guess you are used to settling for a blend.
    This is a very distinctive botlle and is sad they decided to do away with the ceramic stopper. One wonders was it because of failure of the seal or a cost cutting measure. Hum, lets see........

Enthusiast

AFAIK, Hirsch 12yo is one of only three single cask/unblended Canadian Whiskies that have been sold in the US (at least in the past decade). It is also the only Canadian I've seen that is pretty much a cask strength bottling (53.1%), although Black Velvet 107 and Century Reserve 21yo (120 proof) are higher proof.

The overall effect of Hirsch 12 is a very powerful whisky.

Guru

Thanks for the info, I didnt know much about it when I stumbled upon it. The thing that I liked about it was how amizingly smooth I found it to be for a cask strength bottling. I guess that's one reason why I also love Rare Breed and Stagg so much...

Connoisseur

Re: Tangle Ridge / 200th Anniv. Beam

Good eye Bobby. Beam's 200th came in the same bottle as the ceramic topped Tangle Ridge. The TR is a good seller and it's priced right. Let me know your thoughts on the Anniversary Beam. Although younger and slightly lower proofed, I like it better than Knob Creek. Too bad it's gone.

Omar

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Thanks Omar,
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Let me know your thoughts on the Anniversary Beam.

[/QUOTE]
    I will but I must tell you it probably will be awhile. There was, a few years ago, plenty of this still available here even though it was bottled in 1995. I got one bottle and always meant to get another but I waited too long. I noticed also that the first 5 numbers in the UPC are the same on TR and J Beam. I did get a bottle of 12 YO WT so I have a drinker and a keeper of that.

Guru

I am in the same vote as Bobby when it comes to the Anniv. Beam. Me and Chris both get a bottle and when we went looking for another they were all gone...