Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hello a year later...

Signed up last year, but don't think I ever posted an introduction - so I guess I'll do so now... love this board, especially every year when the Stagg hunt starts Unfortunately, VA doesn't have a great system for supplying us with our liquid-nirvana 'wants', but I get by with a little help from other acquaintances - online and nearby. My first love is probably Single Malt Scotch (which often gets surprising looks when I'm out with my husband on his business events), but the quality of Bourbon these days has leveled out my devotion pretty equally among the two now - especially with some of the uncut, unfiltered stuff! ... always great to visit with you ladies and gents here!

Re: Hello a year later...

Welcome to SB Kate. Funny what you said about the Stagg. I'm currently in the process of trying to get a bottle. This years W L Weller is supposed to be pretty good too. Might want to give that a look see also. Anyway, hope you like it here. Continue to post and let us know how it's going with your bourbon journey. Have a good one. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Hello Kate and welcome back. That was a nice post you left outlining your favorite SMS recommendations. Very interesting! So what other bourbons are you drinking these days? You mentioned the Stagg, but have you tried the William Larue Weller and Parker's Heritage Collection bourbons? I'm guessing these would be right up your alley, given your apparent taste for bold flavors and intense aromas. Judging by the variety of SMS's that you listed, I'm wondering if you might enjoy rye as well, as you get lots of bold, spicy flavors in every pour. Just a suggestion, anyway. Take care and keep us posted on what you've been sampling.
    Hank
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Novice

Thanks for the welcome fishnbowljoe and unclebunk! I started the Antique collection back in 2005, so I have various bottles of each of the 5... I liked the Handy, but I think the Weller gets the most of my attention of them all - and Stagg is special, as you all well know. I really like the Pappy 15 depth and the 20 smokiness. Hirsch 16 was one of the first to move me to bourbon, but the Hirsch 20 tasting I had the privilege of sealed the deal! I know it's not fav of allot of people, but my very favorite these days is the 120th Anniv Four Roses... I think because it is uncut unchill, the same way I prefer my scotches. I am very anxious to get my hands on the Jefferson President Select! I have enjoyed Hancock Reserve at times. I very much enjoyed 2007 Birthday and I like Woodford Four Grain. I've been known to enjoy WT Kentucky Spirit, but haven't had the opportunity to try Tribute/Amer/Tradition yet... saw Tradition yesterday and wondering whether I should pick it up. Two that aren't listed on here often that a friend clued me in on are Ezra B Single Barrel 12 yr and Old Grand-Dad 114. I guess the only one I haven't been overly crazy about has been Elijah 18. ... probably seems like a typical list to all you that have more years at this than I have...

Guru

I'd say that's a fine list of quality bourbon that you've picked up so far. I love the BTAC line as well but don't drink them with great regularity, as I tend to reserve those for either special occasions or when I'm sitting home alone and want something truly unique to drink while listening to music. The Pappy 15, on the other hand, flies around here, as there is a balance of quality and price that makes it easier to stock for regular consumption. You'll love the Jefferson's PRS, which I had the good fortune to sample at barrel strength not long ago, and should really try the Parker's Heritage if you haven't already. Truly superb, in my book.

Lots of folks love the Old Grand Dad 114 around here, and I'm one of them. The Ezra B Single Barrel is quite nice as well but don't expect it to change your life. It's a very good pour at a decent price and certainly worth trying. One thing you should remember in your bourbon hunting is that it is generally unnecessary to spend a lot of money in order to get good quality. I love the BTAC's and other top shelf stuff as much as anyone, but have discovered over time that there are many really terrific bourbons to be had at a fraction of the price, so don't dismiss stuff at $15, $20, etc. because of the price tag. I've spent many a night enjoying Very Old Barton BIB for $12 and change! Good luck and have fun along the way!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Wow, a girl! Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'd say that's a fine list of quality bourbon that you've picked up so far. ...I love the BTAC's and other top shelf stuff as much as anyone, but have discovered over time that there are many really terrific bourbons to be had at a fraction of the price, so don't dismiss stuff at $15, $20, etc. because of the price tag. I've spent many a night enjoying Very Old Barton BIB for $12 and change! Good luck and have fun along the way!
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If I had to pick only three bourbons to drink for the rest of my life, I would probably go with VOB BiB, OF Sig and 4 Roses.

I really dig the 120th & the OFBB 2007 too. If you haven't had the 2008 OFBB or the 2009 4R Barrel Strength or Mariage, get them post haste. You won't be disappointed.

Anyhow, welcome Kate. Post early & often!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Welcome (a year later!) I'm a huge fan of the Stagg and WLW as well. I love the Handy, but my girlfriend enjoys it more so that generally stays with her.

I agree with unclebunk and Josh as well though. There are a lot of really great cheaper bourbons out there as good or better then the top shelfers. I'm of the a"drink less, drink better" mentality, and don't flinch at buying BTAC... however some other pricey bourbons are great, but I'm not sure are worth their price. I have some older WTKS that is AMAZING, but I was bored to tears with the new bottling. For ~$43 you could grab an OGD114 and ORVW10/90 or OWA107 and satisfy both your rye and wheat desires. (and I personally think all of those bottles are much better then the current Kentucky Spirit)

Enthusiast

Don't do what I did... I signed up in 2007, posted an introduction then proceded to lurk for two years. I often wondered if I should have posted a second introduction before becoming a bit more active. There is a wealth of information contained in the members of this site and they're a decent bunch, too. Welcome aboard.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Connoisseur

From a fellow Virginian welcome to straight bourbon. A year later.
    I know your pain about living in a control state but on the bright side you could live in PA and be truly without a selection.
    The Virginia ABC stores vary a lot in their selection. Unless you know of one that is very well stocked with what is offered in Va you can always have bottles that are on the ABC website sent to your store at no extra cost. You can also special order a few select bottles like the BTAC to be delivered to your store. Even if they are not listed on the website you can still get some things. I just got a case of VOB BIB delivered for me. The BTAC cost a little more in Va but for what you would save in shipping out of state it comes out ok. The only major downside to living in a control state that I have found is that there are no dusties only current selection.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Virtuoso

Hey Katherine, sorry I did not see this soon but, it's about time you introduced yourself! Welcome and as always I look forward to you input, it's always nice to get a women's opinion on the nectar! Maybe Mercer will stop in and say hello! She loves the SMS as well and much like yourself is very knowledgeable on the subject.

Cheers!
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"