Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Today We're All Irish

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Thanks, gents, for your comments, most appreciated including the recollections of the Irish-American bar environment of some 30 years ago.
    Sadly, that would be some 40 plus years ago. How time flies. If I may, though, I'll add one more story that sprang to mind today. It was in one of these Irish pubs in NYC that I saw my first dead person! I was only four or five years old and, as always, accompanied my father and uncle to an establishment that could shoehorn no more than about thirty people inside it. I remember the place well for two reasons: it had crushed peanut shells all over the floor (which I found amazing at the time because I could just throw the shells wherever I wanted) and the bartender would always run next door to an Italian joint whenever I showed up and return with two massive hot meatballs and warm bread for me, which he would allow me to eat at the bar with my coke and maraschino cherries. It always made me feel important, and the Irish brogues and music swirling around me seemed enchanting.

On this particular occasion, the patrons were holding a wake to celebrate the life of one of their dear friends, who happened to be laid out in an open casket along the wall across from the bar. The place was roaring with laughter, as they told stories about the deceased gentleman, who I knew quite well, if only from sight, having seen him in the pub many times before. I couldn't get my head around the notion that he was actually dead and everyone seemed to think it was funny, such was my five year old take on the situation. When I finally plucked up the courage to venture over and peek inside the casket, an old Irish guy came over to me and whispered in my ear, "It's okay, son. You can pet him. He won't bite you, that's for sure." And off he went, bellowing with laughter, as he walked to the men's room. Ah, the good old days!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

I especially appreciate your comments about the Jameson brands, Gary, as I find them the most consistently enjoyable among what is regularly available here. I suspect if I were to name a go-to Irish, it would be the standard Jameson, though for the insignificant premium it commands over it, it's not unusual for me to claim the Jameson 12yo instead. (In which, though, I've never found a significant 'rubber-tire' savor -- though the scent is often there.)
    Additionally, perhaps of ANY worldwide whiskey, I think the Midleton Very Rare is one for which I'll gladly pay its significant premium to enjoy when I have the hankering.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks, all again, for those comments. Gosh, that is quite a story about the wake in the bar. I can't imagine that could happen today, but who knows? In New York, I often see bars with Irish names, e.g., along 3rd Avenue, and wonder if they have anything like the ambiance of the old days. I guess McSorley's does, but that is an exception I think. I know a place called Molly Malone I like, at 3rd Ave. and about 21st, great hamburgers and Guinness. Last year I recall dropping in to an Irish bar around Grand Central Terminal, I had some good whiskey there and a Guinness. The pretty waitress told me that the younger crowd, even Irish, don't drink Guinness like they used to, they still like beer but lager and other kinds. That's a shame because make no mistake - Guinness is still a fine drink, even after all the years and changes.

Gary

For those with some time in New York who hanker after Irish stout, I recommend two places: Stout, a bar on 33rd street (not too far from MSG), and Gingerman, I think on 36th between Madison and Fifth. Stout has Guinness of course but often English or Scots stouts on draft - and sometimes American ones, plus an excellent bottled selection of international quality stouts. A big commercial-style bar it is but I like it. Gingerman has a superb craft and import beer selection, with many fine porters and stouts either from Ireland or in that tradition. I'll be there at Xmas, Cliff, I'll be calling to see you then.

Gary

Advanced Taster

personally, I'm not that fond of lower end jameson, other jameson maybe good but I've not tried them. Aged Bushmill and Redbreast are both good drinks and not over priced.

Guru

I picked this up on a lark...Irish - The Knot....at first I thought it was a new Irish Whisky...and at 100 proof I thought, wow! However, it is not called a whisky though it was sitting in the Irish whisky section...it appears to be more of an Irish Spirits Liquour....like Irish Mist. I could take it back but as I don't mind the occasional sweet liqour...Irish Mist is pretty good...I think I will keep it. William Grant and Sons produces it...in County Cavan.

http://irishwhiskeyblog.com/2008/10/...-the-knot.aspx

"It looked different from the boldfaced "PROOF 100 PROOF" on the label to the dark caramel coloring to the sweet vanilla nose. It's pleasant enough though a bit too sweet and heavily flavored for me. It's more like a Celtic Southern Comfort, though I say that based on some very hazy memories of drinking SoCo long ago. My first thought was that The Knot would make an excellent drink for adult female-type people who don't really like whiskey.

So far my initial hunch has been spot on. Whiskey drinkers (mostly, but not exclusively, guys) think it's "interesting" but stick with the whiskey. But nearly every woman to whom I've introduced The Knot has loved it. They keep refilling their own glasses, and a few have even left the house with the half- (or more) consumed bottle, one cradling it affectionately in her arms on the way out. In short, it's been a big hit with the ladies as an aperitif, as an after-dinner drink or as a casual cocktail."

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Sadly, that would be some 40 plus years ago. How time flies. ....
    Real life. I love it! Thanks for the peek into your world!!!!!!

Guru

Tried The Knot...it is not bad...vanilla and honey predominate the taste with some background grain alcohol note...not thick and syrupy....a nice aperitif type of drink. Maybe the Irish version of the WT American Honey but at a higher proof.

Guru

Finally found the Irishman 70 today at a great liquor store in Milwaukee. Looking forward to sampling it while watching the World Series tonight. The bottle also came with a $10 mail-in rebate, knocking the price down from $30 to $20. Not bad, eh?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

That really is an excellent net price. Looking forward to your comments.

Gary