Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Today We're All Irish

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    The real surprise was The Irishman 70, a merchant's blend of 70% single malt and 30% pure pot still. Now this is a blend! I have fashioned my own similar blends at home for a long time but this is the first commercial example to my knowledge of combining single malt and pure pot still Irish whiskeys. Wow. Again they get a rainwater soft texture and the pot still shines through but in a controlled way, the malt wraps around it and displays it to perfection. All for only $40.00 but it is worth much, much more.
    Man, Gary, you really hit the nail on the head! I had the Irishman 70 last night and loved it. I'm not sure what I can add to your already perfect description. The "rainwater soft texture" and "pot still shining through but in a controlled way" is dead on, with the malt adding perfect balance but never getting in the way. I have friends who actually don't care for the intensity of pure pot still flavor as found in Redbreast, for example, so I'm curious to see what they think of the Irishman when they try it. Others don't care for the "biscuit-y" grain flavor found in most Irish whiskey blends, and that is not really present in the Irishman at all, so it really may appeal to lots of folks. I should mention to others that, although we have been referring to this whiskey as Irishman "70," the number is not actually present on the bottle's front label, so don't pass it by thinking that you've found the wrong thing. But read the back label and you will see the description of "30%" pure potstill and "70% malt." Thanks for the tip on this one, Gary.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks much for this and delighted you found this a winner as I did. That biscuity edge of pure pot still, what Jim Murray calls its "brittle" character, Jackson called it "linseed", is I think much in evidence but in an appealing way, it doesn't hit over the head in other words.

On the front side of the bottle here in Canada the 70 appears, it states: "The Irishman" on a rectangular black label, gold-edged, and underneath prominently, "70". Underneath that, "Irish Whiskey". Sounds like the label may differ here and there but it is the one and same whiskey!

Gary

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Tried The Knot...it is not bad...vanilla and honey predominate the taste with some background grain alcohol note...not thick and syrupy....a nice aperitif type of drink. Maybe the Irish version of the WT American Honey but at a higher proof.
    I don't think the Knot is Irish whiskey. In fact, I'm not even sure if it's Irish. Does it say so on the bottle. I liked the advertising campaign.

Guru

It is not Irish Whiskey but it is made in Ireland...it is a spirit liqour...has caramel coloring added....I don't know if there is a drop of Irish whisky in it...I assume grain alcohol plus flavorings. I think I will use it when I try some "Gillmanizing"...maybe blend it with my left over Basil Hayden's.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    That biscuity edge of pure pot still, what Jim Murray calls its "brittle" character, Jackson called it "linseed", is I think much in evidence but in an appealing way, it doesn't hit over the head in other words.
    Gary
    Yes. I guess that's what I meant to say. It is in balance, so does not dominate the flavor. Perhaps, though, I am confused as to where the "biscuity" flavor is derived. I did not think it was from the pot still but from the cereal grains that one finds in a typical Irish blend. I am thinking specifically of Bushmills Original, which I'm guessing is light on the pot still but heavy on the cereal flavor. I happen to like the aroma and grainy mouth-feel of Bushmills but have friends who hate it for this reason. I guess I need to do some side by side taste testing to learn about this stuff.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Ah, you may have identified the malt element (present also in regular Bushmills, albeit at a lower intensity than Black Bush and Bushmills Single Malt) not the pot still with that metaphor.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Yes, there is no pot still in Bushmills Original. It is mostly grain, with some malt. It would be the same grain that is found in Irish blends from Jameson, to Powers, Tullamore, Paddy... It would have some of the same malt as the Irishman 70, coming from Bushmills.

Blackbush would have about 20 to 30% of this grain, with the rest being malt.