Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Handy wins out tonight...

Sometimes I just don't know which to put in my glass? So, I taste through my opens. Very surprised that tonight i 'need' the Handy. Anyone else's favorite change from time-to-time? Tonight the contenders were Pappy 15 and 20 (each for their own features), my beloved 120th Anniv Four Roses, and Parker's Heritage), but there's just something about my '06 Handy tonight! Great balance, kick-&*! rye flavor, and nice dry finish!

Virtuoso

Re: Handy wins out tonight...

I love it when you get the right juice for the moment. When you miss it is so disapointing and when you get t right it is so...... RIGHT!.

Enthusiast

It's great when you have the perfect bourbon on hand for the moment. Tonight that perfect pour for me was Lot B and 06 OWA 50:50.

This mix is hard to beat in my book.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kateric View Post
    Sometimes I just don't know which to put in my glass? So, I taste through my opens. Very surprised that tonight i 'need' the Handy. Anyone else's favorite change from time-to-time? Tonight the contenders were Pappy 15 and 20 (each for their own features), my beloved 120th Anniv Four Roses, and Parker's Heritage), but there's just something about my '06 Handy tonight! Great balance, kick-&*! rye flavor, and nice dry finish!
    You're drinking all the top shelf stuff so you can't go too wrong with any of those pours. The '06 Handy is always pleasing.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Lot B and 06 OWA 50:50
    That sound good! - I'll be trying that soon.

Novice

I haven't started 'vatting' my stuff yet, but that does sound like a nice combo... guess the OWA kicks it up a notch while keeping the sweetness maybe? ...Slight twinge of a headache this AM 'cause that Handy drew me in - but such is the price I pay for being female on the lower weight spectrum... it's a cryin' shame that I can't enjoy more than 1 - 2 oz at the time!

Guru

I haven't started 'vatting' my stuff yet, but that does sound like a nice combo... guess the OWA kicks it up a notch while keeping the sweetness maybe? ...Slight twinge of a headache this AM 'cause that Handy drew me in - but such is the price I pay for being female on the lower weight spectrum... it's a cryin' shame that I can't enjoy more than 1 - 2 oz at the time!
    Kate - are you gulping or sipping?

Did you cut the Handy or take it at full strength? A little dab a water to bring the proof down might make a difference. Also, when I'm enjoying a dram or two, I always have a glass of water as a chaser to keep myself hydrated. Just some suggestions.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke

Novice

'Quick Sipping', Greg No, I do as you do - the water chaser... can't bear to dilute when I have such a great bourbon/scotch in my glass! Don't want to weaken/lose/change any of those perfect flavors!

Guru

'Quick Sipping', Greg No, I do as you do - the water chaser... can't bear to dilute when I have such a great bourbon/scotch in my glass! Don't want to weaken/lose/change any of those perfect flavors!
    May be true for some but don't forget that sometimes the higher proof can mask the more subtle flavors. As an experiment, cut just a little, say 10 proof points and try that, continue to do that and you may notice other flavors popping out as the alcohol is pushed more to the background. The nice thing is about barrel strength bottles is you can play with the proof to see how the whiskey changes.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    May be true for some but don't forget that sometimes the higher proof can mask the more subtle flavors. As an experiment, cut just a little, say 10 proof points and try that, continue to do that and you may notice other flavors popping out as the alcohol is pushed more to the background. The nice thing is about barrel strength bottles is you can play with the proof to see how the whiskey changes.
    All very true. It's not about being able to "handle" the barrel strength whiskeys or not wanting to "dilute" them, so much as attempting to get the most flavor out of each pour. And for me, that sometimes involves adding just a touch of water. I know some folks insist that the addition of small amounts of water has never improved a bourbon's aroma/flavor in their experience, but I've definitely improved a number of pours by doing it, so you may wish to try it and you can always abandon it if it doesn't work for you.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet