Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Easy Holiday Treat

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    You'll want to use something with of a rye recipe, not wheat. This is an old-fashioned, pre-Prohibition treat (c. 1875-1880, by some accounts) that is a progenitor, with fruit added, to today's Rock & Rye (rock candy and rye whiskey).
    Sounds like a job for a pre-prohibition brand...I think I know how I'm going to be using my Old Forester rebate!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I know it won't surprise Tim to hear me say this is a job for Very Old Barton BIB.

Other than Old Barton BIB, any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I've been doing this every year for the Holidays, since Chuck rec'd it here a couple of years ago. It's good. Particularly as a late night nip. Go easy on the candy canes, though. Error on the light side. You can always add more CC's if necessary, and they dissolve pretty quickly.

hmm. what do you typically add your candy canes to, and how many do you typically add to said whiskey?

I really like this idea, and will have to try it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I haven't picked the bottle for anything particular. Just something that is about 1/2 full. From what I remember I've done a Sam Houston, EWSB (forget the year, but probably a 98), and a Beam Black. I seem to think the Sam Houston was particularly good. But, that's probably more a function of the correct amount of Candy Canes, rather than the bourbon type. I can't say for sure. Unfortunately, Joey was sleepin' when Mr. Kline was explaining The Scientific Method in 5th Period.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I agree that you want a rye-recipe bourbon, or maybe even a rye, and there is no point spending a fortune, but don't do it with something you wouldn't drink otherwise.

Taster

Any chance this would make Red Stag tolerable? Just not sure about the cherry/mint fusion.

-Clay

Connoisseur

Chuck,
    This sounds very familiar. In the 1950s James E Pepper had the James E Peppermint julep which was a straight, thin peppermint stick that you would use as your swizzle stick in your Pepper on the rocks.

Mike Veach

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonv View Post
    Chuck,
    This sounds very familiar. In the 1950s James E Pepper had the James E Peppermint julep which was a straight, thin peppermint stick that you would use as your swizzle stick in your Pepper on the rocks.

Mike Veach
    That would be a brilliant add-on for a bourbon gift pack.

Connoisseur

Schenley thought so, but it was not enough to save Pepper. By 1970, James E Pepper bourbon sales were pretty much non-existant.

Mike Veach

Enthusiast

I think Evan Williams Black Label. It has a nice, minty flavor to it already. It is also readily available in pint bottles, so less of an investment if you aren't sure about how much you'll love the mixture.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonv View Post
    Chuck,

Mike Veach
    I really like that idea! Using some of those soft peppermint sticks, like you get from Cracker Barrel. I've been havin' a hankerin' for their chicken n dumplins, too. Hey, two birds with one stone: My daughter can put her peppermint stick in an orange, and I'll have mine in an Old Grand Dad.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama