Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

New bottles (Bowman)

I was reviewing the Va ABC stores website as I always do at the beginning of the month and I am seeing two new bourbons that I have never seen before.
    The first is John J Bowman. It is listed at 100 proof and sells for 49.95. I looked around but all I could Find was a reference to John Jacob Bowman a early Kentuckian from the late 1700's.
    The second bottle was Bowman Brothers. It is a 90 proof selling for 29.95.
    I looked on A Smith Bowman's Website figuring that these were their products but did not see them listed.
    Anyone know anything about these?
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: New bottles (Bowman)

Bowman's is a Sazerac brand. You'll also see the name under the Vodka, rum, tequila and gin listings.

John J Bowman is a new Single Barrel 100 proof bottling, also owned by Sazerac.

John J Bowman copy.jpg
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

More importantly, has anyone tried it? I would imagine it's from the same mashbill as VG and at 100 proof, being a single barrel, it might be similar to RHF?
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Disciple

Based on the label Timothy posted, I think we can now officially put to rest the theory that Kentucky is the only state legally allowed to put its name next to "Straight Bourbon Whiskey"!
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    Based on the label Timothy posted, I think we can now officially put to rest the theory that Kentucky is the only state legally allowed to put its name next to "Straight Bourbon Whiskey"!
    That myth dies hard. I saw a TV show where a bunch of bartenders were asked that question. They all got it right which was, of course, wrong.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    More importantly, has anyone tried it? I would imagine it's from the same mashbill as VG and at 100 proof, being a single barrel, it might be similar to RHF?
    What mashbill is VG from anyway? The AA/RHF/ETL one or the Benchmark/BT/ER one? I'm not sure if I've ever seen anybody comment on that. And I'm not sure if my tastebuds can really tell either. Both mashbills are pretty sweet.

I noticed that the label Timothy posted claims the product is triple distilled. There was a lot of speculation on how many times VG was distilled at BT before going to Bowman in this thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...light=Virginia

Could we now have our answer?
    Last edited by Josh; 11-04-2009 at 12:03.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    What mashbill is VG from anyway? The AA/RHF/ETL one or the Benchmark/BT/ER one? I'm not sure if I've ever seen anybody comment on that. And I'm not sure if my tastebuds can really tell either. Both mashbills are pretty sweet.

I noticed that the label Timothy posted claims the product is triple distilled. There was a lot of speculation on how many times VG was distilled at BT before going to Bowman in this thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...light=Virginia

Could we now have our answer?
    According to Jeff Mo:

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    BT Mashbill #1: Benchmark, ER, OC, BT and Stagg

Mashbill #2: AA/AAA, RHF, HPR, Blantons, ETL, Virginia Gent.
    Having had some RHF last night, I think that the high rye content in the mashbill #2 is very prevalent at 100 proof, but I agree that the lines get blurred between the two in the lesser proof offerings -- I think that the BT flagship has a pretty spicy, leathery character & that AAA 10yr is very, very sweet like a Charter.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    I was thinking of that same "triple distilled" & "Virginia" aspect when I was reading this label -- mysteries being solved all over the place.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Having had some RHF last night, I think that the high rye content in the mashbill #2 is very prevalent at 100 proof, but I agree that the lines get blurred between the two in the lesser proof offerings -- I think that the BT flagship has a pretty spicy, leathery character & that AAA 10yr is very, very sweet like a Charter.
    Thanks for the info. In which thread did the dearly departed Jeff Mo post that? Anyway, it just goes to show how important barrel selection is.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Thanks for the info. In which thread did the dearly departed Jeff Mo post that? Anyway, it just goes to show how important barrel selection is.
    If you click on the blue arrow to the right of "Mozilla" you will be magically transported there, but it's Ben's "Bottom Shelf Head to Head" thread.

Andy

Guru

If you click on the blue arrow to the right of "Mozilla" you will be magically transported there, but it's Ben's "Bottom Shelf Head to Head" thread.
    Wow, I had never noticed that before. Ya' learns somethin new every day!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog