Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: New bottles (Bowman)

So they are from Sazerac/Smith Bowman.
    There will also be a rye whiskey, Abraham Bowman listed for 69.95
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    ...I think we can now officially put to rest the theory that Kentucky is the only state legally allowed to put its name next to "Straight Bourbon Whiskey"!
    You mean bourbon can come from more than just a few counties in KY
    Virginia is a budding distiller state with some new entries into the proof world. A Richmond company is producing a potato vodka that receives accolades. Some new companies are starting whiskey production but age is not there.

Guru

John J. Bowman Bourbon is from Bowman Distillery. It's a 12 year old, 100 proof bourbon from barrels listing DSP-VA-25. When I visited Bowman earlier this year, the barrels were sitting out and Joe Dangler indicated the bottling would happen sometime in the fall.

Joe has indicated that it's a really great bourbon. For the time being, it will only be sold in VA and 200 of the 300 ABC stores will carry it. It will be available within 2 weeks.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Joe may have understated it. There is currently no plan to sell these new products outside of Virginia.

About the mash bill, we recently had a situation in which Mark Brown declined to characterize the two recipes as "low rye" and "high rye," preferring just to refer to them by number. It occurs to me that, really, those are misnomers. Recipe #1 is unusually low in rye content, but recipe #2 isn't really high, except in relationship to #1. It's more like standard, around 15%. A true high rye recipe would be like Old Grand-Dad or Bulleit, at about 30% rye.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Joe may have understated it. There is currently no plan to sell these new products outside of Virginia.
    I find it a little odd that these three products would only be sold in Va. I have long said that even for a control state we do get a good selection of bourbon but why not also send it to a few other markets like Kentucky.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    I find it a little odd that these three products would only be sold in Va. I have long said that even for a control state we do get a good selection of bourbon but why not also send it to a few other markets like Kentucky.
    Perhaps the Virginia Dept of Tourism and Travel is giving them some kickbacks and hoping this will enoucourage more people to travel and shop in VA.

Who in VA has got a guest room? I need to come get me some rye!
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

About the mash bill, we recently had a situation in which Mark Brown declined to characterize the two recipes as "low rye" and "high rye," preferring just to refer to them by number. It occurs to me that, really, those are misnomers. Recipe #1 is unusually low in rye content, but recipe #2 isn't really high, except in relationship to #1. It's more like standard, around 15%. A true high rye recipe would be like Old Grand-Dad or Bulleit, at about 30% rye.
    I didn't mean to suggest that the recipe #2 was "high rye" but like you said, Chuck, just a relative high -- it's obvious that neither of the BT mashbills have a high rye content -- but just like Barton's 1792 recipe has a high rye content compared to their other offerings. Sorry for the confusion.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

As soon as it shows up, I'll grab a bottle and give my impressions.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest that the recipe #2 was "high rye" but like you said, Chuck, just a relative high -- it's obvious that neither of the BT mashbills have a high rye content -- but just like Barton's 1792 recipe has a high rye content compared to their other offerings. Sorry for the confusion.
    Nothing aimed at you, Andy, we all tend to refer to the two Buffalo Trace rye-recipe bourbon mashes that way.

I don't think Sazerac will hesitate to expand distribution of the Bowman products if they think the demand is there, but at the moment there is no plan to do that.