Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: New bottles (Bowman)

I can confirm that all of the new Bowman whiskeys were distilled at Buffalo Trace twice, then A. Smith Bowman distilled them a third time using their unique still. The barrels were filled and aged in Virginia. Everything was bottled at Buffalo Trace.

Connoisseur

They aged the barrels at Bowman in Fredericksburg, VA. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for distilling in KY, shipping to VA for one more distillation and aging, then shipping back to KY for bottling, then shipping back to VA for sale, especially when Bowman has a perfectly serviceable bottling line.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Their line may not be able to handle whatever bottle shape they used, or maybe they're not set up for single barrel bottling.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

For the # of bottles they are doing it would be cheaper to do it with a pitcher and funnel than shipping barrels and bottles...IMO..
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    For the # of bottles they are doing it would be cheaper to do it with a pitcher and funnel than shipping barrels and bottles...IMO..
    Well, we know why the cost is so high now... there must be some regulation or license that drives them to bottle in KY... especially if this is only a Virginia release

The capital required to add in the small bottling line would be small… almost free if they used some recycled equipment from a defunct distillery.

Connoisseur

You're probably right. Given the bizarro world of regulations controlling the liquor industry I wouldn't be surprised.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Advanced Taster

I sampled the John J. single barrel and the Bowman Brothers small batch. Tastey.

My single barrel is smooth with very distinct wood. Not very complex, but enjoyable.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loose proton View Post
    I sampled the John J. single barrel and the Bowman Brothers small batch. Tastey.

My single barrel is smooth with very distinct wood. Not very complex, but enjoyable.
    would your recommend one over the other? And, more importantly, are they on the shelves yet?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Based on the bottles I have, I'd recommend the single barrel way over the small batch. I've not sampled the rye and not sure if it is on the shelves yet. The other two should be in your local Va ABC store (as of today) or will turn up next week.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Well, we know why the cost is so high now... there must be some regulation or license that drives them to bottle in KY... especially if this is only a Virginia release

The capital required to add in the small bottling line would be small… almost free if they used some recycled equipment from a defunct distillery.
    Em, Bowman has a full bottling line in place that is used for all their products including Virginia Gent......
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"