Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    The Boss

Re: Show Us Your Stash!!

Man ... I had to do some heavy cleaning in the garage just to shoot this picture, but I can't think of a motivator that would be much finer!

Here's a shot of about 2/3 of mine. It might shrink a bit tonight as I am conducting a tasting for a small group of friends

Bettye Jo, test your powers of observation. Do you see anything familiar in the picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Jim,

A few questions, if I may.

1. What is the bottle with the blue lable, to the left of the EC12?

2. I see you have Old Whiskey River, about which I had nothing good to say in a tasting a while back. Would you care to add your experience?

3. I see only one bottle of George T. Stagg; have you finished the other one already, or is it safely tucked away?

4. Speaking of safety, do you have a safety rail, not visible in the photo, to prevent bottles from jumping to their death in the event of an earthquake?

5. Are the two bottles of WT 12 year-old a recent purchase, which is to say, do you know where I could buy a bottle?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Disciple

There is a bottle in that bunch that was at BobbyC's cookout and I literally winced remembering it. Boy was I snakebit from drinkin with Linn that afternoon by the time i got there that night. Its a small wonder I didnt fall down the hill in the rain!! It took all my resources to put the tiniest drop of it in me. . .Now that I am sober I wish I had more to try, as i remember it was quite good !

Happy New Year Folks!
    TomC

Guru

I do know that the bottle with the blue label to the left of the ec12 is the 23 year evan williams made for export. I'd hope to get one of them in my collection soon...

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Jim,

I'm surprised ya have any left...Did your brother taste it?...

Bettye Jo

The Boss

Taste it? I split it with him! Dave is willing to drink more of it than I am though. I usually only use it to demonstrate what a certain bourbon tastes like before it's stepped on.

The Boss

Dave,

Mark already answered #1

#2 -- I happen to like OWR. My only issue is that it would be improved by raising it's proof to 100.

#3 I have three bottles of GTS. What you can't see in the picture is that the upper shelves are three bottles deep.

#4 I'm not sure what earthquake safe means. I have a small lip tacked to each shelf about 1.5 inches back. This prevents my bottles and glassware from taking walks. Containers filled with liquid tend to stabilize themselves to some degree during a temblor (as a opposed to an empty container), though I'm not suggesting you fill your home with water I suppose the most effective mechanism might be to dig a swimming pool, then float the collection in an opaque, temperature controlled vessel of some sort. Face it, if the big one hits, we're fuc*ed anyway, and my bourbon supply will be about the least of my worries.

#5 I've got three of them actually, one is off camera. Yes they were recent purchases. I'm going over to the liquor store where I purchased them today to see if they have more. They had 1.5 cases when I purchased those about ten days ago. They had three cases before I told some folks here about it I'll let you know.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Omar,

Your collection is one that all of us want to see...Please post a picture of the entire collection...It's probably one of the finest collections of "old" bourbon there is ...

I was gonna post mine...but everyone here, knows what the Heaven Hill products look like...but they do sit on a really nice "OLD" side board that's over 200 years old ...The back board is mirrored and you know what happend...a big flash in the picture

Oh well, there is one special bottle that I recieved...What a great surprise...I came home from work one night and there it was sitting on the dining room table...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,...I know it's Early Times...but it represents the earliest days of our family history and my present day history...At the age of 14 my great-grandfather Joseph L. began work in the Early Times Distillery ...founded by his Uncle J.H. (Jack) Beam...That very same distillery has been under several names...but the first, was Early Times...It's down the road from Gethsemani...Trappist Monks...

In the Early 70's....(Ahemmmmm..... I could have been, 5 years old at the time ... Oh hell, get ya boots on! ) they tore down all of the remaining warehouses...My daddy said, Iffin your gonna build you a house someday get the lumber from those warehouses...Finest lumber around without a knot in it...I spent a entire summer pullin nails and sorting through lumber...Stored it in a barn until we built this house that I live in today...(except for the deck)....Soooooooooo......this bottle of Early Times---although not the one from the beginning) is very special to me....

Bettye Jo

Guru

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I happen to like OWR.

[/QUOTE] Well, I'll be danged... I guess I'll never get it through my head that taste is a totally individual phenomenon. I hope my negative tasting doesn't keep someone from discovering that they like OWR, just as you do.

I'm not sure what earthquake safe means.

[/QUOTE] I'm not sure, either. It's a matter of degree; that's for sure. It sounds as though you've taken sound precautions to deal with moderate shaking. That would be the big tragedy, bourbonically speaking, to have bottles "walk" to their death during a mild-to-moderate shaker. As you say, the next, long-overdue movement on the San Andreas will make the loss of one's bourbon collection a minor issue.
    I'm going over to the liquor store where I purchased them today to see if they have more.

[/QUOTE] I just spoke to the good folks at Bottle Barn, and they didn't understand why I thought it was hard to find. In response to my question they stated that they can get it at will, just like Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit. Strange -- my sources in SoCal say they haven't seen any of it in recent memory.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Virtuoso

Stagless Stash (1 of 2)

Here's a photo of my stash. Unfortunately, it's missing the 3 bottles of Stag and the big bottle of Buffalo Trace 1.75 that my sister FORGOT to bring to my parents at Christmas. I hope to get them the weekend after next.

I am too lazy to move all the bottles out of the way and take a pretty picture, so here is the list on the back row, left to right...

Paul Jones American Blended Whisky (I found it at my parents house at Xmas; my grandfather used to work for Paul Jones; it's for sentimental reason - I don't think I'll ever taste it); Old Fitz BIB, Old Fitz 12 yo, Elijiah Craig 18 yo, Wathens, unopened Buffalo Trace signed by ET Lee, ERSB, VW Family Reserve Rye, Van Winkle 20 year old (empty).

The middle row is Old Overholt Rye, Old Fitz 1849, Very Old Barton 100, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Elmer T. Lee SB, AAA 10 yo old, VW 10 yo, WV 15 yo.

The very front row on the right is Evan Williams SB and OF 100. I just finished off the WT Rare Breed on New Year's Eve.

The very front on the left is my Virginia Tech shot glass, my Woodfood Reserve copper shot "glass" (from my tour this past summer), a toy car my Grandmother sent me (it was my Grandfather's), a nice metal shot "glass" for everyday use, and my leather covered flask.