Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

storage in the cold

I may be doing some work in my basement, where I currently store my bunkered bottles of bourbon, and am thinking about moving my bourbon up to my garage (not used for cars). I live in the northeast and it can get pretty cold in my garage over the winter (certainly below freezing). I realize that whiskey is much hardier than wine and can take a certain degree of tempature variability, but wanted to make sure I wasn't putting my bourbon in any danger. Thank you very much.

Re: storage in the cold

More than a few people deliberately store their liquor -- including bourbon/whiskey -- in their freezer at home. The only 'harm' it does is deadens the taste a bit while it remains cold. Back at room temperature, it's what it ever was. (I'm assuming here your garage doesn't reach absolute-zero, or anything like! )

Advanced Taster

it has to get real cold to freeze hard liquor. -25 degrees F

see: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50113a018

Connoisseur

Just my 2 cents.

If you leave it in to long the cork shrinks and the alcohol evaporates and your left with a real syrupy product.
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Virtuoso

one thing that I have noticed about storing whiskey in a freezer, especially if the bottle is open, is that it will "outgas" when returned to room temperature and then opened. When I was much more ignorant, I did this with a bottle of Buffalo Trace, and opened it after it had warmed significantly. I might as well have been opening a can of coca-cola. It didn't taste the same after that, either.

I did the same thing to a bottle of WT101. It was a handle, and it was half empty and it never tasted exactly right after that.

Perhaps it was my imagination, or perhaps I was doing something wrong. I have no idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Thank you. This has been very helpful.

Advanced Taster

Chill haze for the unfiltered bourbons...

Guru

I'd leave it indoors (heated), if you can. No sense taking chances with good whiskey.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."