Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

Hello from Southern California

Hello from California (San Diego County). Fairly new to bourbon, although I did drink JBWhite and coke many, many, many years ago. In October my wife and I vacationed in TN, KY and IN (in-laws). We spent a couple of days on the Bourbon Trail. Wow, what a nice area. Also, visited JD while in TN. I am starting my "bunker" with 1-2 bottles from each distillery we visited. Here are my current selections and prices paid in San Diego:

Jim Beam: JBB ($16); KC ($22)
    Maker's Mark 1.75 ($34)
    Heaven Hill : EC18 ($45)
    Four Roses: FRsmB ($38); FRSB ($42)
    Woodford: WR ($27)
    Buffalo Trace: Blanton's SB ($40); ERSB ($30)
    Wild Turkey: ????? Any recommendations??

The prices paid in San Diego seem a little higher then other places but maybe because you can't go any further west without a ship?

Thanks to everyone who posts here. I have learned a lot about bourbon in a short time.

Bruce

Guru

Re: Hello from Southern California

Hey Bruce! Welcome aboard and thanks for posting that fine introduction. That's a nice list of bourbons you've accumulated already. As to the Wild Turkey, you can't go wrong with the standard WT 101 which is rock solid and inexpensive. But WT's Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit belong in every household as well, so get 'em all and compare and contrast. Good luck and have fun with your bourbon hunting!

Hank
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Welcome! Rare Breed has never let me down. WTKS is good too, but especially the dark wood tops. I hear the pewter tops are even better but I've never had one of those. Don't overlook the WT Rye either. Solid whiskey. The Canadian duty free stores have WT 8 y/o which is a great whiskey, I think. Maybe the Mexican ones do too?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Welcome! Rare Breed has never let me down. WTKS is good too, but especially the dark wood tops. I hear the pewter tops are even better but I've never had one of those. Don't overlook the WT Rye either. Solid whiskey. The Canadian duty free stores have WT 8 y/o which is a great whiskey, I think. Maybe the Mexican ones do too?

As far as Wild Turkey goes, I have to "third" the nomination of Rare breed, and then add that the Wild Turkey Rye is one of my favorite rye whiskies.

welcome to the board!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Welcome to the site Bruce. Sounds like you're a man with a plan. Trying a couple things from each distillery is a great idea. As far as WT goes, I would have to agree with the 101 and Rare Breed suggested by offerings. Some others you might want to try in the future are one (or more) of the Weller or Van Winkle bottles. They are all good. Just a matter of degrees as to just how good. Hope you like it here. This is a great place to be if you're into bourbon. Official chats are Sunday and Thursday nights, but you never know when folks might show up. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Taster

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I picked up some WT101 and Rare Breed today. I will put Kentucky Spirit on my "to do list." While at the store I looked at some GTS 2006 ($60), ER 17 ($60), PVW 20yr ($109) and WL Weller Centennial ($40). Being new I don't know if these are good prices. The PVW is out of my price range.

Have a great week and thanks again.

Bruce

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Westernboys View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I picked up some WT101 and Rare Breed today. I will put Kentucky Spirit on my "to do list." While at the store I looked at some GTS 2006 ($60), ER 17 ($60), PVW 20yr ($109) and WL Weller Centennial ($40). Being new I don't know if these are good prices. The PVW is out of my price range.
    Bruce
    The prices you mentioned are pretty solid overall. I'm sure some folks can score a few of these slightly cheaper but most will pay more, so I'd say they are in line. But first you have to do one thing...STOP READING THIS AND GO BUY THAT WELLER CENTENNIAL RIGHT NOW!!! You won't see it around often, as it is no longer being made, and the juice is terrific. Next up would be the Stagg--another beauty, though I personally haven't had the 2006 bottling. I'm with you though on the PVW20. At $109 it's just too much money for me, and frankly, I've enjoyed PVW15 far more for less than half the price, so I'd skip it, though others will no doubt disagree. Let us know what you think of your first "dusty" score after you've sampled that Weller Centennial.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Taster

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Southern California

Thanks for the heads up on the Weller. I went back and he had two..... so I got both.