Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: The Bourbon Review: MIA?

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    When did you get it?
    Summer 2009 is the last issue I got and I have a subscription.
    Late September I would say about the same time Malt Advocate fall issue came out.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I finally got a reply email from Brad at TBR.... He was extremely appologetic and offered to get my Fall magazine to me ASAP....
    Not only did he send me multiple copies of the magazine, he was also generous enough to send me a great TBR T-shirt as well! Very cool, and very much appreciated

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ShewDawg View Post
    I purchased it at the KBF as well. I cannot recall if they were giving out the Fall edition or the Summer. Will need to double check.

Regardless, this by far is what I would consider the best whiskey mag since it is dedicated solely to bourbon out of the "Malt Advocate / Whisky Mag" variety (Which reminds me, I need to also sign up for Chuck Cowdery's newsletter, just have not gotten around to it yet ).

Granted, from reading the last year and a half’s magazines from the BR handouts at their KBF stand, they truly have very interesting insights on things. Funny thing was, when looking at the free magazines the publishers were handing out at the KBF, Whisky Mag and Malt Advocate were basically supported by bourbon advertising, and those 2 had no bourbon articles. Couldn't quite understand why there was not even a bourbon article in the Fall Mall Advocate, since it is a domestic product and the bourbon festival was taking place. My father and I got a chuckle out of that one.
    Shewdog, there were FIVE stories on bourbon/American whiskey in the fall issue of Malt Advocate: two by retired Jim Beam Master Distiller Jerry Dalton, one by Chuck Cowdery on Bardstown, Lew Bryson's article on flavored bourbons, and Dave Wondrich's story on rye cocktails. Maybe you need to have another look? American whiskey will always have prominence in every issue of Malt Advocate.
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHansell View Post
    Shewdog, there were FIVE stories on bourbon/American whiskey in the fall issue of Malt Advocate: two by retired Jim Beam Master Distiller Jerry Dalton, one by Chuck Cowdery on Bardstown, Lew Bryson's article on flavored bourbons, and Dave Wondrich's story on rye cocktails. Maybe you need to have another look? American whiskey will always have prominence in every issue of Malt Advocate.
    I stand corrected, and will have to question my sobriety when reviewing the magazine and revalidate which issue I was looking at to make an erroneous statement.

I have a question though, in prior issues I have read and also whiskey notes I have received, there seems to be more news about Scotch than non-Scotch, and it can be a perceived bias since I am only interested in North American Whiskey. If I had the time, I would actually do a tally, but in the 2-3 Whiskey Notes sections I looked at there is a 3:1 / 2:1 ratio of Scotch to North American Whiskey news and non-tasting notes. Is this just industry activity or a decision to have more Scotch Articles than non Scotch?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Worldwide, scotch outsells American whiskey by a ratio of about five to one. Even here in the United States, the largest market for American whiskey, most whiskey enthusiasts are primarily interested in single malt scotch. Even to most Americans, 'whiskey' means scotch.

As a person who is interested in American whiskey and who has very little interest in scotch, that's just something I have to accept.

Of course, every publication and publisher is entitled to their own vision. Of the two main magazines aimed at whiskey enthusiasts, Malt Advocate has consistently more American whiskey coverage than WHISKY does. The Bourbon Review is what it is. So is The Bourbon Country Reader.

There is also this web site, and others. The American whiskey community is small but growing.

Advanced Taster

Chuck, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Plus, look at the ratio of scotch distilleries to bourbon distilleries. That's probably 9:1 or something like that.

BTW, Chuck has a great piece on Buffalo Trace's new adventures in the Winter issue. Way to go Chuck!
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

I was a more than a little reluctant to subscribe to Malt Advocate Magazine thinking it would be all about scotch but there is enough bourbon articles to make worth the cost. They do review a few bourbons and at least one rye whiskey a month. There is also a lot of bourbon advertising in the magazine which I like to check out also. Although I haven't found a scotch I like yet some of the articles on it can be interesting.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 12-10-2009 at 07:31.

Talking Re: The Bourbon Review: MIA?

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Thanks heaps for that. I purchased their first years magazines (4 in total) and a years subscription. So far I've been very impressed with each magazine.... I'm just bummed I didn't get a Fall one yet, and that no one is answering my attempts to email them
    The new edition (winter) is now out

Enthusiast

I ran into a little SNAFU with my Bourbon Review subscription a little while ago. It just stopped coming. My sister had gotten myself and her husband a subscription for Xmas the prior year and apparently they must have thought one of the subscriptions being paid by the same person was a mistake. Anyway, my sis contacted the publishers and they were very gracious. In fact, my house is kind of on the way home from one of the publishers (Brad, I think) so one day a few months ago I came home to a stack of back issues and a couple of the current one that I had been missing sitting on my porch and a hand written note. Hell, they were even nice enough to throw in a copy of the first issue that I didn't have as our subscriptions started on the second issue.

I am going to have to check out Malt Advocate as well.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Malt Advocate had a real nice article about BT written by Chuck this quarter. I haven't read my Bourbon Review yet. One question Chuck as I wasn't clear from your article is Mark Brown President of Sazerac or BT?