Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: To what extent do you and your spouse or significant other share a love of bourbon?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • S/he encourages me to buy and drink as much bourbon as I want, but never joins me.

7 18.42%
  • S/he sometimes drinks bourbon with me, but isn't the avid bourbonian that I am.

6 15.79%
  • S/he drinks as much bourbon as I do and is just as knowledgeable about it as I am.

2 5.26%
  • S/he routinely drinks all of the Kentucky Spirit when I'm not around and then forgets to tell me that we're out.

0 0%
  • We drink together, but s/he prefers alcoholic beverages other than bourbon.

13 34.21%
  • S/he doesn't drink and is indifferent to my drinking.

5 13.16%
  • S/he doesn't drink and would prefer that I not drink.

5 13.16%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Sharing Your Love of Bourbon With the One You Love

My wife has been interested in my Bourbon journey. She bought "The Stagg" for me for Christmas! Best gift ever! She has visited the Labrot & Graham distillery a few years ago and the Jack Daniel's distillery this past summer with me. She will sample (take a sip or 2) of the various bourbons that I will try. She has a pretty good sense of taste and smell, and will pick up on certain flavors/aromas before I will. So, although she does not drink very much, she understands my enjoyment of this exploration. I have to say that I'm a lucky guy!

Bob

Enthusiast

Another interesting one that I'll bump... my wife, being a chef, is pretty open to trying anything at least once, and absolutely loves the smell of most bourbon I bring home. She'll usually try a sip or two of my first pour from a new bottle, but isn't too interested after that. I haven't yet found a bourbon that she'll drink regularly.

In fact, the only time I've ever seen her drink a good amount of bourbon was a few nights ago. I'd just poured myself about 2.5 - 3 oz. of Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve, and my mother showed up unexpectedly, knocking at the door. Before I knew what was happening, my wife had reached over, grabbed my glass, and downed the contents. Needless to say, she doesn't enjoy her mother-in-law dropping by unannounced.

And what a waste of Old Charter! I could've had the lowest shelf rotgut imaginable in that glass, and she would've drained it just the same. At least it wasn't Stagg, a Hirsch , or a Van Winkle (none of which I can get in my evil communist state).

Enthusiast

I'm going to call you the bumpmeister.

This is a good topic though.

Administrator in exile

This has changed a bit since my original reply. Leslie has moved from bourbon sours to Manhattans and Old Fashioneds. She still doesn't care for bourbon alone, but we're moving in the right direction

Enthusiast

My wife doesn't drink bourbon, but she does drink whiskey; in fact, she was drinking single-malt Scotch before I discovered whiskey myself.

Advanced Taster

My girlfriend simply cannot abide the whisk(e)y. She's an accomplished beer connoisseur, to the point of using software to track all the beers she's had and her comments about them, but finds Bourbon and Scotch to be completely disgusting.

Every so often, she'll reluctantly try something if I say it's especially good. Even so, she can barely make herself swallow it.

Give that woman a beer!

Connoisseur

Ben and I enjoy bourbon equally. We were just trying to figure out how we began drinking bourbon together recently and to the best of our recollection, it was a mutual adventure from the beginning. We were both big spirit explorers before we met so our common booze interest has been a fun part of our relationship all along. We had a blast taking our vacation together to the Festival this year. We love sharing thoughts on bourbons and creating cocktail and food recipes together.

Connoisseur

wr,
    Thanks for bumping this thread! I enjoyed it when it was current.
    reached over, grabbed my glass, and downed the contents
    I sure hope I get a chance to meet your wife... I completely understand...
    And shoot man, don't think of it as a waste! When you need a shot of something, no one wants rotgut. Yer always sorry afterward...
    Life's too short to drink crappy Bourbon...
    Bj

Guru

I just now noticed that I never responded to my own poll.

Unfortunately, and not just in the context of the poll, my wife is diabetic. Years ago she enjoyed wine and mixed drinks with pink umbrellas, but of late she takes only a small glass of wine about twice a year. Even that small transgression will produce a big swing in blood sugar for a day or so.

I have asked her to nose bourbon on occasion, and she says it smells a whole lot better than any beer I asked her to try over the years. (Her opinion of beer is reflective of the joke that ends "Neither of these horses should be worked for a week to ten days". )

My stash of bourbon ( ) is mentioned seldom and even less often in a favorable way.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

About the only way I share my love of bourbon with my little bride is when it leaves me in a pleasant mood. She doesn't care for it at all. Her loss but she has at least tried it before casting judgement.