Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Saturday shopping

Each Saturday I go shopping for a new candidate bottle of bourbon. I have tried and/or owned many bourbons available. Since I am new here, and I value your opinions, I would so kindly welcome your suggestions for this weeks purchase. We'll keep it below $80 this week.

Thanks, Jeff

Guru

Re: Saturday shopping

4R's '09 Mariage, the best of the year.
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It depends on what you've never had.

For example, for a lot less than $80 you can get Old Grand-Dad Bonded, one of the best and most overlooked bourbons out there, with a taste like nothing else.

Can you tell that was my pour last night?

Advanced Taster

Well I'm not afraid to spend the extra cash, just want to go a little lighter on the wallet this week. Last week I picked up 2 sazeracs and an GTS.
    OGD has never been on my list. What are it's appealing characteristics?

I'm not familiar with the 4R's '09 Mariage... Sounds interesting. I'll look it up.

Connoisseur

Well since you are a Missouri native, you should go with $80 worth of McCormick's whiskey, which I believe is roughly 12 cases.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Old Grand-Dad is a bourbon but it contains about twice as much rye as most bourbons do. The rest of its unique taste must come from its yeast. As a bond, it's the product of a single distilling season, no mixing of younger and older barrels. It's very flavorful, spicy and earthy like a rye, sweet and satisfying like a bourbon.

This, I imagine, is what many bourbons tasted like back before blended scotches and Canadians spoiled the American palate for real swallow hard and make a face whiskey.

Advanced Taster

I do my shopping trips on friday because that's delivery day at my favorite store. experiment with the lower shelf items as well, you never know when you may be surprised. even if you don't like it, the experience is part of developing wide appreciation of what's out there.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    For example, for a lot less than $80 you can get Old Grand-Dad Bonded, one of the best and most overlooked bourbons out there, with a taste like nothing else.
    Quite a few handles go down every week around my place. I can't get enough of the stuff. I said this last night as well, GIVE ME MY CONTOURED HANDLE BACK!!!!!.

OGDBIB is one GREAT bourbon.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Old Grand-Dad is a bourbon but it contains about twice as much rye as most bourbons do. The rest of its unique taste must come from its yeast. As a bond, it's the product of a single distilling season, no mixing of younger and older barrels. It's very flavorful, spicy and earthy like a rye, sweet and satisfying like a bourbon.

This, I imagine, is what many bourbons tasted like back before blended scotches and Canadians spoiled the American palate for real swallow hard and make a face whiskey.
    Thanks for the info. I love me some "punch you in the face" whiskey. So maybe I should actively pursue that bottle of Echo Spring....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    4R's '09 Mariage, the best of the year.
    Hate to say / type this... but you may be right.

Enjoying some tonight and, in the spirit of "love the one you're with", it's hard to disagree.

But I still really like the WRMC SO....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."