Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wt 101

Disciple

Wt 101

Binny's has WT 101 on sale as a father's day special this weekend for $15.99...I have never had WT before and I'm wondering if I should pick up more then a bottle at that price. Can someone give me it's traits or a sister bourbon to compare it to? Thanks!

Guru

Re: Wt 101

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Binny's has WT 101 on sale as a father's day special this weekend for $15.99...I have never had WT before and I'm wondering if I should pick up more then a bottle at that price. Can someone give me it's traits or a sister bourbon to compare it to? Thanks!
    I'll give you my two cents. It's a very popular whiskey around here and elsewhere. It has a very high proportion of rye copared to other whiskeys in its class. The combo of the spicey rye and the high proof makes it pretty hot for some people. Other high ryes include OGD, Bulleit, Four Roses Single Barrel (at least some of them), and some people include Old Forester.

I'm not a big fan of the 101, I tend to prefer the older turkeys, but WT is a classic taste no bourbon journey is complete without. Buy a bottle, and if you like it buy some more. For better opinions use the search function
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

I saw the same thing about Binny's and I know you won't find it any cheaper around here (based upon my informal dusty hunt survey). I grabbed my first just a month ago and there was a lot of alcohol in the nose/flavor of my first pour but subsequent pours have been very good.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Disciple

Thanks guys...I did use the search function but I'm having trouble finding comparisons to the WT101...yours was helpful though. Based on what I have read so far I'm not sure that I would be a turkey hunter...I'm more of a VW fan so this is pretty much on the opposite side of the bourbon spectrum. I'll probably pick up a bottle though as at $15.99 it doesn't break the bank.

thanks again for the feedback...anyone else?

Connoisseur

I'm not surprised you aren't pulling much up hectic1. WT is pretty distinctive I think. The most similar to WT I think is OGD114 but it's still a very different beast.

WT is a rugged bourbon, I feel like I have hair growing on my chest when I have it lol! It always suprises me that something that seems unrefined actually carries such good balance. I think WT101 is a must have for any bourbon drinker to have on the shelf but it might not be a daily go to as it does get up in your face a lot more than some other bourbons.

I think you have got the right idea picking up a bottle. Try not to judge it until you are halfway through the bottle. The first few pours might be like a slap in the face coming from VW but I'd be surprised if it doesn't grow on you.

Taster

At that price? Stock up!

It's typically $22 around here....

Oh, no need to search - go look at the BOTM forum post on WT101 http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=5893
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

At that price I would buy as many as I could WT 101 is my go to bourbon!
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

WT is definitely big on the palate, but don't let that chase you off. If it's too much neat, try it with a bit of water or an ice cube.

Guru

WT 101 is my (almost) daily pour. It is all that bourbon should be. Just ask Jimmy Russell.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster

Sippin' a little WT101 right now, neat. It's pretty much my favorite go-to all-around bourbon.
    --
    in aqua vitae veritas
    Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    www.blueolives.com
    www.chicagopitbulls.org