Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Bourbon Beer Barrel Database

I've been randomly trying bourbon barrel beers for awhile now with mixed results. When I went to Savor in DC this spring we talked to 4 breweries that made these and 3 of the 4 were from JB white. The best one of the bunch was from a distiller I cant recall since I didn't take good notes.

In any event, I recently had North Coast's Old Rasputin XII and was not very fond of it which made me wonder if it was the beer or the bourbon. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a list of bourbon beers and what distilleries and expressions they barrel's came from?
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

Re: Bourbon Beer Barrel Database

Allagash Brewing is a major force up here and they currently have bourbon-finished Belgian Trippel called Curieux. It's pretty good, but nothing too special I didn't think -- quite a bit mellower than their regular Trippel, though not really worth the $15 a 22oz. I do get it out at the bar when I find it, though. Guess whose barrels they use -- you guessed it -- JB White.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Disciple

Party source sells a bourbon barrel beer Called Bluegrass that uses barrels from Jefferson's Reserve which are basically HH barrels. The stuff comes in 4 packs but isn't cheap at 10.00+ for a 4 pack!

Thomas

Connoisseur

There are some mentioned in this thread.

Someone suggested ratebeer.com - do a
    bourbon search there for a list of results.

Administrator in exile

I've found that most brewers are rather secretive about the brand of barrels they use. I'm not sure if it is they who care, or the distilleries who prefer anonymity.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Became aware of, and finally found, Atlanta Brewing Company's Red Brick 15th Anniversary Ale. It's a brown ale aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Party source sells a bourbon barrel beer Called Bluegrass that uses barrels from Jefferson's Reserve which are basically HH barrels. The stuff comes in 4 packs but isn't cheap at 10.00+ for a 4 pack!

Thomas
    I would try this one.
    ovh

Guru

I just got an email back from Alec at Founder's brewery in Grand Rapids. He told me that their Backwoods Bastard (a bourbon barrel version of their Dirty Bastard scotch ale) and presumably their Kentucky Bourbon Stout (KBS) are both aged in barrels from Heaven Hill.

He wrote, "We get many barrels that are of various ages, and are used for various bourbons, but they all come from the same place." This may mean the barrels EW/EC/HH lines as well as possibly Old Fitz barrels. I hadn't ever thought of the age of the barrels being a factor before, though. Food for thought.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

This is an historical beer at this point, but Dominion Brewing Company which used to be in VA made an Oak Barrel Stout that was only available at their brewpub which was finished in Virginia Gentleman barrels. Unfortunately, AFAIK the current version of OBS (now made by Coastal Brewing is Delaware) is made with some vanilla bean and oak chip method that simulates the bourbon aging. If anybody ever had them side by side, there was no comparison. The barrel aged stuff was one of the best beers I've ever had.

They also made an Oak Barrel version of their Millenium barley wine which was another fantastic beer.
    Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarass him.

Great Divide (from CO) has a very limited bottling of their Yeti, Old Ruffian, and Hibernation Ale that they age in Stranahans whiskey barrels... These
    are very hard to come by, but www.bruisin-ales.com got a case of each of the Yeti and Old Ruffian .. And they ship! The only downside is that it's $30 a
    bomber.