Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Threaded View

New Member from Mississippi - With Question

Hi, everyone. This is a great forum! I've spent the last couple of days soaking up the knowledge in the threads here. I've done some searching, and I can't seem to find anything about this particular bottle of bourbon that I have.

I came across this bottle in the back of a cabinet at my late grandfather's house. It is a bottle of Rebel Yell, labeled as 7 y/o and the bottling was done August 2, 1966. It is a commemorative bottling to celebrate the repeal of prohibition here in Mississippi.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. I drink whiskey on occasion but I don't know the first thing about the history or the distillers. I do know that Van Winkle is a great brand and a fine example of what whiskey should be.

What my question is, what would make my grandfather hold on to this particular bottle for close to 40 years? I assume at the time it was bottled, the actual whiskey was no different than any other bottle of Rebel Yell out there, other than this special label... is this right? I found other bottles that I assume date from about the same time (they still have the tax stamps across the top), but they have been opened and are mostly gone. I have no intention to ever sell this bottle, as it belonged to my grandfather who I was very close to, but the fact that he was obviously saving it has my curiosity up. Is there anywhere I can find an approximate value on this?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images