Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Member from Mississippi - With Question

Hi, everyone. This is a great forum! I've spent the last couple of days soaking up the knowledge in the threads here. I've done some searching, and I can't seem to find anything about this particular bottle of bourbon that I have.

I came across this bottle in the back of a cabinet at my late grandfather's house. It is a bottle of Rebel Yell, labeled as 7 y/o and the bottling was done August 2, 1966. It is a commemorative bottling to celebrate the repeal of prohibition here in Mississippi.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. I drink whiskey on occasion but I don't know the first thing about the history or the distillers. I do know that Van Winkle is a great brand and a fine example of what whiskey should be.

What my question is, what would make my grandfather hold on to this particular bottle for close to 40 years? I assume at the time it was bottled, the actual whiskey was no different than any other bottle of Rebel Yell out there, other than this special label... is this right? I found other bottles that I assume date from about the same time (they still have the tax stamps across the top), but they have been opened and are mostly gone. I have no intention to ever sell this bottle, as it belonged to my grandfather who I was very close to, but the fact that he was obviously saving it has my curiosity up. Is there anywhere I can find an approximate value on this?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New Member from Mississippi - With Question

Closer View of the label:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Welcome to the board. Now, to answer your question....
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...nt.php?f=9&a=3
    Value is subjective. I say keep it, and drink it for a special occasion.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen that post, but I knew the value would be completely subjective. I didn't mean to come here and sound like all I wanted was a dollar figure for this bottle, that's not the case. The history of it is really what I want to know. I'm just trying to understand why he would hang on to it for so long without opening it.

Anyone know any history of this particular bottling? How many, etc.?

And I do plan on keeping it, probably just like he did. I wouldn't ever sell it - the only danger it's in is getting opened and drunk. But, it's going to take a mighty special occasion for me to open it.

Guru

Hey SoundsGood, it's obvious as to why he held on to this bottle.
    It says right on the label that is commemorating Mississippi Repeal Day August 2, 1966.
    It's a great souvenir.
    Maybe what confused you is the fact that on Dec 5, 1933 enough states voted to repeal Prohabition but Mississippi was not one of them and they elected to stay "dry" state wide until 8-2-66.
    Also as I'm sure you know there are still "dry" counties in MS.
    ovh

welcome and hope you stay around.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Neat bottle. If I'm not mistaken, Mississippi was the last state to vote to repeal Prohibition. The whiskey inside should be pretty good, if you were to decide to drink it. If it were me, though, I'd hang on to it just like your grandpappy did. Not because it's valuable (monetarily, it really isn't valuable), but because it makes a great conversation piece. And, you'll get a lot of return remembering your g-pappy, and telling the story of Prohibition, Repeal, Mississippi being the last to repeal, and Stitzel-Weller bourbon. Of course, if you were rootin' for the Rebels in the Egg Bowl yesterday, I wouldn't blame you if you drank the whole dang thing to drown your sorrows.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Now, I'm pretty much known as an "open everything" member here. I don't buy/own/shelve ANY bottle I won't open.
    But, this one might be an exception...
    As Joe notes, Mississippi indeed WAS the last state to ratify Repeal in 1966. Speaking personally, I would purely love to have a bottle commemorating that event! The fact that it's Rebel Yell -- which means, of course, original Stitzel-Weller -- would be problematic, but I've had enough of that good stuff that I could refrain, I believe.
    So, please, don't open it before you at least contact me, or some other whiskey repository -- such as the Getz Museum in Bardstown, KY -- in an effort to preserve it. I don't know what it's worth, or what I'd even offer for it. But, this is a piece of history that should not be gratuitously rendered.
    Special whiskey excites me -- though, usually, as a gustatory experience. This is an exciting bottle, but for other reasons.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 11-29-2009 at 12:07.

Taster

Hay SoundsGood,

What part of Ole Miss are you from?
    Great keepsake.
    J.W.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: New Member from Mississippi - With Question

I agree with Tim (TNBourbon). I would consider that bottle to be a true collector's item. Hell, I am not a collector, but that one would even have value to me.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur