Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

Anyone ever have Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1996/1997? It came in a little cobalt blue bottle and was supposed to improve with age. I bought a bunch of them, waited a few years and cracked one open. It tasted like fuc*%#g soy sauce!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Anyone ever have Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1996/1997? It came in a little cobalt blue bottle and was supposed to improve with age. I bought a bunch of them, waited a few years and cracked one open. It tasted like fuc*%#g soy sauce!
    Yes! I had a couple of bottle of that stuff. The bottle was very nice but its contents was terrible. Perhaps the second worst beer I've every tasted.

Guru

I had it as well. It was bad then and it did not get better... It actually turned me off of SA for a while.

For $150 I am definitely out of luck for this beer. I am a Sam Adams fan and love most all of there output.

Connoisseur

MrB,

Have you had the Stingo. I really like this one.
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    I've seen and held this some time ago. $150 for a bottle of beer is beyond my means.

By the way, I'd vote Sam Adams Winter Lager as the best mass produced beer on the market.
    i'd second that. The winter lager is excellent. I used to really like their cream stout, but I haven't had it in quite a while and would have to revisit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    By the way, I'd vote Sam Adams Winter Lager as the best mass produced beer on the market.
    I have to agree that SA's Winter Lager is right up there with the best of the mass produced beers. You know, for a once small micro that has grown into a behemoth, Sam Adams has managed to consistently produce a wide range of truly excellent beers, with only the occasional misstep--Triple Bock.

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    i'd second that. The winter lager is excellent. I used to really like their cream stout, but I haven't had it in quite a while and would have to revisit it.
    The SA Winter Lager really is terrific. Erich, see if you can find their twelve pack sampler which I believe has both the cream stout and the winter lager among others.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I have to agree that SA's Winter Lager is right up there with the best of the mass produced beers. You know, for a once small micro that has grown into a behemoth, Sam Adams has managed to consistently produce a wide range of truly excellent beers, with only the occasional misstep--Triple Bock.

The SA Winter Lager really is terrific. Erich, see if you can find their twelve pack sampler which I believe has both the cream stout and the winter lager among others.
    Yep, it's good. For the 3rd consecutive year I have purchased my Holiday Case Pack of SA beers from Costco. Regular Sam Adams (good), Winter Lager (Very Good), Old Fezziwigs Ale (Pretty Good), Holiday Porter (Dang Good), Coastal Wheat (Pretty Good), and....Cranberry Lambic () I really wish they'd quit putting the Cranberry Crap in the pack. I really can't get to liking this one.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

yeah, the cranberry lambic was terrible. I wasn't a huge fan of the blackberry whitbier either...
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Cranberry Lambic () I really wish they'd quit putting the Cranberry Crap in the pack. I really can't get to liking this one.
    I never liked fruity beers when I was younger, but I love the Cranberry Lambic -- it's my favorite out of the Sam holiday pack -- so bready and zesty -- there's really nothing else like it. The Holiday Porter is a close second -- a great porter. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy