Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,823

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    Anyone ever have Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1996/1997? It came in a little cobalt blue bottle and was supposed to improve with age. I bought a bunch of them, waited a few years and cracked one open. It tasted like fuc*%#g soy sauce!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  2. #12
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    2,060

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Anyone ever have Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1996/1997? It came in a little cobalt blue bottle and was supposed to improve with age. I bought a bunch of them, waited a few years and cracked one open. It tasted like fuc*%#g soy sauce!
    Yes! I had a couple of bottle of that stuff. The bottle was very nice but its contents was terrible. Perhaps the second worst beer I've every tasted.

  3. #13
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,726

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Anyone ever have Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1996/1997? It came in a little cobalt blue bottle and was supposed to improve with age. I bought a bunch of them, waited a few years and cracked one open. It tasted like fuc*%#g soy sauce!
    I had it as well. It was bad then and it did not get better... It actually turned me off of SA for a while.

  4. #14

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    For $150 I am definitely out of luck for this beer. I am a Sam Adams fan and love most all of there output.

  5. #15
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    549

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    MrB,

    Have you had the Stingo. I really like this one.
    Dave

    The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

    Kentucky Bourbon!!

  6. #16
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    I've seen and held this some time ago. $150 for a bottle of beer is beyond my means.

    By the way, I'd vote Sam Adams Winter Lager as the best mass produced beer on the market.
    i'd second that. The winter lager is excellent. I used to really like their cream stout, but I haven't had it in quite a while and would have to revisit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,823

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    By the way, I'd vote Sam Adams Winter Lager as the best mass produced beer on the market.
    I have to agree that SA's Winter Lager is right up there with the best of the mass produced beers. You know, for a once small micro that has grown into a behemoth, Sam Adams has managed to consistently produce a wide range of truly excellent beers, with only the occasional misstep--Triple Bock.

    Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    i'd second that. The winter lager is excellent. I used to really like their cream stout, but I haven't had it in quite a while and would have to revisit it.
    The SA Winter Lager really is terrific. Erich, see if you can find their twelve pack sampler which I believe has both the cream stout and the winter lager among others.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  8. #18
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,859

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I have to agree that SA's Winter Lager is right up there with the best of the mass produced beers. You know, for a once small micro that has grown into a behemoth, Sam Adams has managed to consistently produce a wide range of truly excellent beers, with only the occasional misstep--Triple Bock.

    The SA Winter Lager really is terrific. Erich, see if you can find their twelve pack sampler which I believe has both the cream stout and the winter lager among others.
    Yep, it's good. For the 3rd consecutive year I have purchased my Holiday Case Pack of SA beers from Costco. Regular Sam Adams (good), Winter Lager (Very Good), Old Fezziwigs Ale (Pretty Good), Holiday Porter (Dang Good), Coastal Wheat (Pretty Good), and....Cranberry Lambic () I really wish they'd quit putting the Cranberry Crap in the pack. I really can't get to liking this one.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  9. #19
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    yeah, the cranberry lambic was terrible. I wasn't a huge fan of the blackberry whitbier either...
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

  10. #20
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Beer at 27% ABV!

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Cranberry Lambic () I really wish they'd quit putting the Cranberry Crap in the pack. I really can't get to liking this one.
    I never liked fruity beers when I was younger, but I love the Cranberry Lambic -- it's my favorite out of the Sam holiday pack -- so bready and zesty -- there's really nothing else like it. The Holiday Porter is a close second -- a great porter. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

    Andy

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. I love cooking with Beer! What do you cook in Beer?
    By dave ziegler in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 12:12
  2. Higher ABV equal more flavour?
    By JMac72 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 09:59
  3. Yup - Kentucky Had a Beer Style - Kentucky Common Beer
    By Gillman in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 21:10
  4. Wiser's Reserve (Special Edition) 43% ABV
    By Gillman in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 17:37
  5. beer
    By kitzg in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 17:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top