Yes, it's been closed since 1990 and the Beam family has the mini pot still, but that doesn't mean you can't take a tour of the place! I met up with the current owner of the site yesterday and spent about 5 hours taking pictures and talking with him. The site is in great danger of being taken by the township and I am going to do what I can to stop it. Through research (and some good connections!) I have found that the thought that the site was taken off the national register is totally false. Michter's is still not only on the National Register of Historic Places, it is still a National Historic Landmark- a very high designation. I am local to the distillery and will be hoping the owner clean and fix the place up- a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Also, some other myths, questions, and legends I may be able to answer:

Sheridan, PA appears on marketing material until 1975 because that area was the Sheridan PO area before that.

Michter's first jugs appeared in 1957.

Gene Wilson did not totally strip the place out. Only the small pot still and small items were removed.

The distillery closed on Valentine's Day 1990, not in 1989, 1988, 1991, 1980, or 1981 as are listed various places.

The A.H. Hirsch bottlings are not the whiskey that was left in 1990. That whiskey left the premises in 1974.

The whiskey that was left in 1990 was obtained by the ATF in 1993 and sent to New Jersey where it was re-distilled into antifreeze and race fuel.

The main distilling equipment was shut down around 1978 and the small pot still was used from then until closing.

The site is not abandoned. Though there has been vandalism, most of the people have been caught and arrested. The site is under 24 hour surveillance and the locals have guns. Don't trespass.

The current owner is open to giving people tours, but due to poor health, cannot be out in the weather or on his feet for extended periods of time.

Hope this solves a few mysteries and a few questions!

Here are the highlights of my trip:

http://forgottenpa.blogspot.com/2009...-michters.html