Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened

Connoisseur

What happened

I have a bottle of Woodford Reserve that I have not sampled from in a while and it has turned. I bought the bottle in March and have not opened it in months and I opened it today and it is terrible. I compare it to welding fumes/ electrical fire on the nose and the taste in your mouth when you are at a car show and the car is burning rubber. Totally undrinkable. This bottle has been in the metal case that I bought it in sense maybe May of this year when I last poured a drink from it.
    How did this bottle turn so bad so quick?
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Enthusiast

Re: What happened

Could it have been bad from the start and you just didn't notice on the first drink?
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    I have a bottle of Woodford Reserve that I have not sampled from in a while and it has turned. I bought the bottle in March and have not opened it in months and I opened it today and it is terrible. I compare it to welding fumes/ electrical fire on the nose and the taste in your mouth when you are at a car show and the car is burning rubber. Totally undrinkable. This bottle has been in the metal case that I bought it in sense maybe May of this year when I last poured a drink from it.
    How did this bottle turn so bad so quick?
    We've replaced Dan's Woodford Reserve with Folgers Crystals. Let's see what happens...
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Advanced Taster

I never cared much for Woodford anyways.... All the more reason for me not to buy it.

Could bourbon go bad in such a short amount of time?
    Jeff...

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

Taster

Do you have childeren or young adults or even older adults who are not supposed to drink your Woodford.
    I am in no way impinging on the honesty of your housemates and please do not take offense. Many bottles are returned that have had coke, tea, coffee, or just water added back to them to replace a missing sample and bring back to volume.

Etohchem
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Who brought the chips?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by etohchem View Post
    Do you have childeren or young adults or even older adults who are not supposed to drink your Woodford.
    I am in no way impinging on the honesty of your housemates and please do not take offense. Many bottles are returned that have had coke, tea, coffee, or just water added back to them to replace a missing sample and bring back to volume.

Etohchem
    Nope no children or others that would be sneaking into the liquor cabinet in my house. It just turned its self.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    Could it have been bad from the start and you just didn't notice on the first drink?
    I am not a huge fan of Woodford in general and that is a big reason that it has not been opened in a while. I found it to sweet for my taste but really didn't find anything offensive about it.

I feel that this bottle sitting in the back of the bar in the metal case, maybe it cooked itself some how. Does this make sense? This is the only thing that I can think of.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The reason Etohchem suggested that explanation is that there are very few things that can 'turn' a bottle of straight whiskey. Deliberate adulteration, as Etohchem suggested, is one of them. A bad cork is another and a lot of exposure to air, like by leaving the bottle unstoppered for an extended period of time, is a third. That's about it. Temperature extremes won't do it. The alcohol would ignite before it was harmed in any other way by heat. Whiskey simply doesn't go bad. In a properly sealed bottle it can remain unchanged for decades, regardless of the storage conditions. Another possibility is that you just don't like the stuff and the more you think about how much you don't like it the worse it tastes. I'm not trying to put this on you or to cast aspersions on anyone who may have been in your home, but whiskey simply does not just 'go bad' spontaneously.

Connoisseur

Thanks Chuck.
    I was thinking heat but now I have checked that one off the list.
    My house is not at all a high traffic area with only one person that I drink with and he wouldn't sabatoge the bottle, he has open riegn of my bottles and doesn't have to ask as I don't at his house so I am going to cross that off the list as well. The cork seems fine and makes that delightful pop sound when I remove it so I have to figure that it is not air entering into the bottle. This bottle has never been left on its side so I could not be cork taint. I remember liking this just fine so I don't think that my tastes have gone south that fast. So I am back to square one. Thanks for everyones input maybe I will never figure this out.
    Ernest Hemingway

Enthusiast

According to this boards foremost expert, cork taint has nothing to do with bottle orientation. That expert being etochem. In response to a post of mine, he explained that cork taint is a product of the trees from which the cork comes. Search his posts if you would like any more info on that subject.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ+Bourbon View Post
    According to this boards foremost expert, cork taint has nothing to do with bottle orientation. That expert being etochem. In response to a post of mine, he explained that cork taint is a product of the trees from which the cork comes. Search his posts if you would like any more info on that subject.
    This is true for a bad cork, but if you keep your juice on its side, it will eat the cork