Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened

Re: What happened

Not that hard to figure: you don't like Woodford Reserve -- at least, not the version currently bottled. Join the club.
    The taste/sense you describe sounds metallic to me. The metal is copper, from those much-extolled copper, pot stills which produce such mediocre whiskey. I note that you say you last poured from this bottle in May, which I additionally note is c. 2 months after you registered here as a member.
    Is it possible you bought into the hype of Woodford Reserve when you bought it, but have now sampled/discovered/discussed many other bourbons you really DO like, and now can't remember why you originally found the WR acceptable?
    Just askin' ('cause, as you can tell, I ain't no fan of today's Woodford Reserve, however much I enjoyed the Old-Forester-honey-barrels version).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    This is true for a bad cork, but if you keep your juice on its side, it will eat the cork
    Thanks for the correction, Em. I just realized that I don't know that Truman said any such thing. He did say that the bacteria that cause taint are present in the cork before the juice is in the bottle. From that I ASSuMEd that orientation had nothing to do with taint.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Cork taint and cork-related fouling from too much contact between the whiskey and the cork are two different things. A bad cork can damage the whiskey without it having direct contact and you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell by how the cork looks or performs. Likewise, leave a bottle with the whiskey in contact with the cork and even if the cork is perfectly good, the whiskey will dissolve it and that's not good for the whiskey either.

That said, true cork taint is extremely rare.

Tim's analysis seems sound, as it generally is.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    We've replaced Dan's Woodford Reserve with Folgers Crystals. Let's see what happens...
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Just askin' ('cause, as you can tell, I ain't no fan of today's Woodford Reserve, however much I enjoyed the Old-Forester-honey-barrels version).
    the honey barrel iteration was my second step on the bourbon journey, after knob creek. then one day, not knowing anything about bourbon except that i liked the taste, i had some and it seemed totally different. later on, i figured out it was around the time they switched up.

Connoisseur

I was able to sample some Woodfords today and I am checking my taste off the list of reasons that this bottle tastes like crap. While I still don't love Woodford it was how I remembered it. I looked back through old posts today to hopefully find something that can help me figure this out. I know some people treat the idea of cork taint like catching that 200 pound catfish. (Its out there, its rare, I have caught a lot of fish but I've never seen it.)
    So I am going to do an experiment. I have the bottle still and if this cork messed up this bourbon it would figure that it would destroy another bourbon.
    Back during the Kentucky Derby the last time I sampled from this bottle I saw a very nice picture of Woodford Reserve on its side with a Mint Julep next to it. I tried to duplicate this picture and did lay this bottle on its side for maybe 10 to 20 minutes. I plan to fill this bottle with another bourbon (something cheap) and leave it on its side for 15 minutes and then place it back into the metal container that it came in and let it sit for a while and see if this new bourbon turns too.
    Last edited by independant; 12-03-2009 at 15:36.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Administrator in exile

I had the same thing happen once with a bottle of Old Pogue. Drank half the bottle and it was fine. Put it away on the shelf for a while, came back to it, and suddenly it tasted musty and foul. I never could explain it, though the Pogue's were nice enough to offer to replace the bottle. I declined, as I had already drank half of it, so I finished it off in Leslie's mixed drinks
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think the cases of cork taint are very rare but they do happen, and when they do, you know it. This is not some slight earthy or musty taste, but a strong, acrid, cork taste - like cork on steroids - that effaces most of the taste of the drink. Scientists have identified the source, it is some chemical that normal processing should take out of the cork, or somehow it gets contaminated. In 35 years of drinking spirits I think this only happened twice, and the last time, I just threw out the bourbon.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    so I finished it off in Leslie's mixed drinks
    Nice Guy
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Nice Guy
    Joe
    Hey my wife is the main source for disposal of bad bottles too. Diet Coke tastes musty with just a hint of ass anyway, so she doesn't notice the off flavors of the bourbon.