Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowmore 1957

Hybrid View

Bowmore 1957

I have an opportunity to purchase this bottle, it will be around $1700.00. I will never open it, is this a good investment. For that amount of money, is their better buys for the long haul? Opionins would be great!

Re: Bowmore 1957

By and large, you're asking the wrong folks here -- not because it's a Scotch, but because it's a collectible. Most of us drink our whiskeys.
    Chuck has pretty much summed up our collective viewpoint of whisk(e)ys as investments here:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...nt.php?f=9&a=3
    Although he is addressing American whiskey, and SMSW does have a pretty wide collector base, it is scattered so much throughout the world that bringing potential buyers together in a bidding critical mass would, I think, prove problematic.

For whatever it's worth, though, WineSearcher shows an average price for this bottling of c. $2,750. But, then, how thorough will a wine search engine be regarding liquor?
    Also FWIW, if I were determined to spend almost $2,000 on whiskey, I believe I'd spread it out over several different bottles and types. Then, if my investment turned into a monetary bust, at least I'd likely have multiple bottles with which to drown my misery.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 12-04-2009 at 17:22.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    For whatever it's worth, though, WineSearcher shows an average price for this bottling of c. $2,750. But, then, how thorough will a wine search engine be regarding liquor?
    Also FWIW, if I were determined to spend almost $2,000 on whiskey, I believe I'd spread it out over several different bottles and types. Then, if my investment turned into a monetary bust, at least I'd likely have multiple bottles with which to drown my misery.
    Good advice! All that money on one bottle seems risky.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Please get it and provide tasting notes.

Connoisseur

Being a Scotch collector myself, $1700 is a good price at the moment for a 38 yo 1957 Bowmore distillery edition (1 of 861) provided that it has the box, key, key bag and the side inserts. You should be able to realize a nice return in 5 years.

I'd buy it if I knew where it was

Are there better buys.....sure, the problem is figuring out which one. I've done well with Balvenie Vintage Casks but they started at much less then $1700. The 1946 Macallan 50 & 52 yo have about doubled in price since release for example.

Who knew back in 1993 that the bottle of Black Bowmore I paid about $130 for would be worth $4000 today. It was a great bottle for $130 but I don't think I'd open it now if I had to shell out $4k. I guess I should have bought more of them and drank less. Good Luck
    Illuminati in training

Guru

4600 for a black, and 6000 for a white. A 38 year old Bowmore should taste amazing. And...1700 is a steal IMO. 130 for a black AVB...that's awesome. I'm very, very, very jealous.

Connoisseur

Yeah the first release 29 yo was only £80 list price when it came out. Tasted pretty good too!
    Illuminati in training

Finally got it, Bottle #517/#861, excited, investment good or bad I have one. Did post this in, What did you purchase today thread. Just typing this in with a MM drink. What a day!!

Connoisseur

Pictures are required.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    Finally got it, Bottle #517/#861, excited, investment good or bad I have one. Did post this in, What did you purchase today thread. Just typing this in with a MM drink. What a day!!
    Illuminati in training

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    Congratualtions Greenman, it's been a long journey, I'm glad you finally spent the money.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog