Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Got good sipping rum

We are on vacation in Florida this week, so I figured that I would grab a bottle of Zacapa 23 as my vacation treat. I sampled a bit of it at Dougs this past spring and I came away very impressed. It is a superb neat sipper.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

My liquor store man knows I like good rum, so he suggested I pick up a new one they brought in. Ron Abeulo anjeo rum. 10 bucks for a 750. I said what the hell. Hands down the best value on the market. It is made in Panama from cane juice and molasses. Great stuff.

Guru

Just picked up some Pyrat XO....wow, very good and unique. Almost bourbon like in taste with a sweet pineapple like note.

Apprentice

English Harbour 5 Year old Antigua rum. Great stuff for sipping. That and Goslings (for dark and stormy cocktails) are my two favorite rums.

Novice

My long-time favorite non-spiced rum is Appleton Special (which is, ironically, their lower grade rum). Mixes better with Pepsi or RC than Coke (not a knock against Coke, it mixes best with Captain Morgan for example), and is smooth and flavorful enough to sip if that's your thing. Usually costs in the low teens for a 750 ml bottle.

I won't (can't) swear to it, but I believe it is aged in used Jack Daniel's barrels, for those who will admit to liking Jack around here LOL. I have been told various parts of the story on various distillery visits, but Jack does ship out most of their used barrels, of course; some barrels go to Jamaica; Appleton is made in Jamaica; both are BF brands; and the flavor profile might well be described as a rum version of JD.

Virtuoso

If you run across either Atlantico or Zafra you might want to pick them up as they are both worth a try. I find them both nicely balanced sippers without the weight or syrupy character of some of the darker Demerara juice. The Atlantico has a buttery taste and the Zafra has subtle and delicious caramel undertone. Neither is extremely complex but both have just enough going on to keep your interest as a sipper.

For more complex sippers look at El Dorado 15 and 21 along with Zacappa 23 and XO. Zaya would be high on a lot of peoples list also.

Disciple

The Flor de Cana line is my standby if I'm looking for a sipping or a mixing rum, although either occasion is rare. Tonight happens to be one of those nights.

I received a bottle as a gift just prior to Thanksgiving, and it changed my opinion on rums in general.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Just picked up some Pyrat XO....wow, very good and unique. Almost bourbon like in taste with a sweet pineapple like note.
    Same here, Picked up some Pyrat XO when I saw it for $19.99. Has a unique presentation, hand numbered bottles (glass is really heavy and thick). The stuff inside is good, doesn't taste like any rum I have ever had, good notes of orange marmalade and some honey sweetness to it. I don't think I'll be drinking it often until it gets warm out. But so far I have been impressed, very good rum.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    The Flor de Cana line is my standby if I'm looking for a sipping or a mixing rum, although either occasion is rare. Tonight happens to be one of those nights.

I received a bottle as a gift just prior to Thanksgiving, and it changed my opinion on rums in general.
    I really enjoy the Flor de Cana line. El Dorado rums are great as well.

Connoisseur

I picked up a mini (50ml) of Zacapa 23yr Solera. Now, my rum literacy is basically nil, but I can say this was pretty tasty. Very, very sweet. Then you think about it a moment and you remember, "Yeah, this is distilled sugar." And that's about what it tastes like. But with some depth and contour.

But here's the part I don't understand: a full 750ml bottle of this stuff is like $35-$40, which is fine. But the mini bottle I got was $1.50 out the door.

My math isn't all that great, but they're not giving me a lot of incentive to pick up the big one.