Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Got good sipping rum

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    I picked up a mini (50ml) of Zacapa 23yr Solera. Now, my rum literacy is basically nil, but I can say this was pretty tasty. Very, very sweet. Then you think about it a moment and you remember, "Yeah, this is distilled sugar." And that's about what it tastes like. But with some depth and contour.

But here's the part I don't understand: a full 750ml bottle of this stuff is like $35-$40, which is fine. But the mini bottle I got was $1.50 out the door.

My math isn't all that great, but they're not giving me a lot of incentive to pick up the big one.
    Wow... I don't know that I've ever seen Zacapa in mini-bottles. Possibly something limited?

At that price... I'd get a bucket of the little guys!

Connoisseur

I've spent some time searching and cannot find any info on the laws concerning rum. I was wondering if there were any additives in this it was so sweet. Is anyone aware of what the rules are for rum content?

I'm surprised no one mentioned Mount Gay Extra Old. It's presently my favorite sipper alongside El Dorado 15. In his rum reviews week, Ralfy gave Mount Gay XO a very high score http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juDutlFhNDo.

I've spent some time searching and cannot find any info on the laws concerning rum. I was wondering if there were any additives in this it was so sweet. Is anyone aware of what the rules are for rum content?
    Unfortunately there are no universal laws on rum due to the sheer amount of nations producing it. As such any number of rums can be doctored in some way.

Advanced Taster

Went to a Macallan's tasting recently. They gave a sample of the Brugal 1888, which is a rum aged in their sherry casks. For a rum it was pretty tasty!

Lots of additives to rum. From caramel coloring to sugar and flavorings. It is not a pure spirit but it's still enjoyable

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by scubadoo97 View Post
    Lots of additives to rum. From caramel coloring to sugar and flavorings. It is not a pure spirit but it's still enjoyable
    Some of them are, but unfortunately, many are not.

Connoisseur

Mount Gay XO is indeed tasty...but Mount Gay cask 1790 (prolly wrong number listed.) Wasnt as good as I had hoped for such a high price and 30yr old rum
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Connoisseur

Mount Gay XO and Appleton 12yo. Very nice, neat sippers.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Connoisseur

My absolute fav rums right now are Ron Zacapa 23yr and Ron Matuslem Gran Reser e 18 yr. Dangerously good stuff.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Novice

I also felt that the Appleton 12yr was delicious but realized after I returned home that it tastes way better when I am lounging on the beach in Negril.
    El Dorado 15yr is my choice.