Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

The One-Two-three Punch (or more)

I am interested in everyone's ordering of the bourbon they drink in a given night. What do you like to start with and follow up etc....

My one-two-three usually follows a pattern that works for me. I've found that the order I take my whiskey has a big effect on my enjoyment of the better offerings. Some offerings can be horrible after others etc...

Here's a couple likely orderings for me:

1. ORVW 10/107, PVW15, WLW BTAC
    2. WT101, Wathens or RR90, Stagg BTAC
    3. Ritt BIB, WTRye or Saz 18, Handy BTAC
    4. Old Fitz BiB, OWA, ORVW 10/107...

etc....

What's your one-two or more punch?
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Re: The One-Two-three Punch (or more)

So much for "the wedding feast at Cana" theory...

I usually go from less intense (flavor / proof) to more intense.

Except, of course, when I don't.

Bottom line: my selections tend to be more serendipituous... where the spirit(s) moves me.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

First round would be a small pour of something I have been thinking of through out the day. Second round involves me standing in front of the shelf trying to figure out what to try next, something from the middle/top. Third and final round is me grabbing a bottle of whatever I bought that either I don't care for/need to finish/ or just a good cheap pour and carry that bottle to where I am sitting.
    I found this works great to get rid of those bottles I have that are just taking up space.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    First round would be a small pour of something I have been thinking of through out the day. Second round involves me standing in front of the shelf trying to figure out what to try next, something from the middle/top. Third and final round is me grabbing a bottle of whatever I bought that either I don't care for/need to finish/ or just a good cheap pour and carry that bottle to where I am sitting.
    I found this works great to get rid of those bottles I have that are just taking up space.
    I'll send a car by to pick up a few of those awful space taking bottles ;-)

As for the order of progression... Lighter to heavier or subtle to intense for me usually. Tho, I mix up the spirits a bit more and toss in a tequila, rum, mezcal, scotch or whatever into the mix also

Cheers,

RW
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    I usually go from less intense (flavor / proof) to more intense.
    Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    I generally do a combination of these two approaches. I find myself thinking about a certain bottle all day long and that ends up being my starting point. I then tend to move towards something a bit more "intense," either in proof and/or flavor, before settling into something that I want to knock off to create shelf space. By then I'm usually buzzing pretty good, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to continue pouring top shelf stuff like GTS or WLW, as the taste buds are getting duller as the evening wears on. By moving into the "gotta get rid of it" bottles I also save myself some money by not waking up the next day to find an empty bottle of a favorite pour. I should say that the final pour isn't necessarily a dog, but may be something that I enjoy that is inexpensive. So last night, for example, I did a run of OWA 10/90, followed by Weller 12, followed by Pappy 15 before finishing off with Old Forester Signature which I have 1.75L of at all times, though I contemplated knocking off the Michter's US1 Bourbon to make shelf space for something else.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I prefer to never move down in quality. I rarely drink other than at home or at the gazebo (or whenever there's aglass in my hand). In either location there is an excellent supply of quality whiskey. At home when I get a few bottles that don't contain more than a small drink or two for each of us, I'll line them up on the table in the order in Which we'll drink them, lowest quality first. That does not mean that my lowest quality is an inferior whiskey. I mean I'd rank ETL above BT or EC18 over EW. At the gazebo I look the table over knowing that usually after a max of 6 to 8 tastes (not full pours) they all begin to smell alike and my tongue starts numbing out. I'll decide what I'm going to try and the order in which I'll try them. I try to stick to that agenda - for those of you who have been to the gazebo, you'll know that's an impossible task but I usually try to stay pretty close on track.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    I prefer to never move down in quality.

I agree with that. I find going in the opposite direction, even if I'm "buzzing" as unclebuck says, to usually be harsh on my palate. Also, f I go down on proof but up on quality I usually start knocking them back way too fast and easy.
    So while moving up in quality is my general rule, moving up in intensity, as John mentioned, is nearly as important in maximizing bourbon drinking pleasure.
    Last edited by JamesW; 11-20-2009 at 08:23.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    I prefer to never move down in quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I agree with that. I find going in the opposite direction, even if I'm "buzzing" as unclebuck says, to usually be harsh on my palate...So while moving up in quality is my general rule, moving up in intensity, as John mentioned, is nearly as important in maximizing bourbon drinking pleasure.
    I can fully appreciate the point of view that you each expressed. I often find myself with the dilemma of what to pour next and my strategy has certainly failed me on a number of occasions. When I'm drinking single malt scotch, for example, the bottle I'm consuming may be hard to come by or quite expensive, so in the interests of conserving it I'll usually have one or two pours before moving on to something else. But if I climb the quality ladder and move on to something equally good or better, I sometimes have nowhere else to go after that second bottle has been sampled. By this I mean that I may still have the desire for another small pour or two, but with the taste buds dulling by this point in the evening, it gets harder to fully appreciate that final top shelf pour. On the other hand, as you said James, I've frequently shifted down a gear or two to something more pedestrian only to be completely disappointed by the final pour. The flavor, by comparison to the earlier pours, is weak or the finish is abrupt and lifeless, making it a waste of time. So, occasionally I consider doing what you guys do by staying with the top shelfers in order to finish off the night on a good note which makes sense, as long as the "buzz" hasn't taken over the show.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 11-20-2009 at 09:53.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I find myself thinking about a certain bottle all day long and that ends up being my starting point.
    There is a definite madness to my method regarding this topic. Like the others, I find myself ruminating during the day a lot of times about a pour that I'll have when I get home (today it's OWA). I have my own system of "leaders and followers" that I outlined in an earlier thread:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ders+followers

The stronger, assertive pours are kind of a like a reset for me (e.g. OGD114, FC, WT101, even the WLW or Stagg) and I can pretty much put those anywhere in the rotation and enjoy them. It's the more delicate & complex pours that I find order really makes a difference . . . last night I started with the Handy then followed it with OWA & Lot 'B' and I didn't enjoy the wheaters at all -- I couldn't really taste them.

My classic one-two punch:

OWA, Lot 'B' -- this is my favorite progression and a standby - I never drink Lot'B' without a pour of OWA or WLW SR first

Like you, James, I tend to stick with either rye, wheat or rye whiskey for an evening. A lot of times I'll stay with one pour all night. I have few bottles open at once, so instead of specific bourbons, my progressions are usually from style to style . . . I tend to sandwich lower proof drams between higher proof, more robust ones.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I never drink Lot'B' without a pour of OWA or WLW SR first
    This is my thoughts exactly. I generally need to acclimate my palate on the first pour. i.e., I rarely have a Pappy 15 right out of the gate. It's almost a waste not having the reference effect of a lower quality pour to truly admire it's quality. Same goes with the lot B for me, I usually hit the Weller SR myself before indulging that kind of quality, otherwise I'm wasting a good pour trying to acclimate my palate for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    When I'm drinking single malt scotch, for example, the bottle I'm consuming may be hard to come by or quite expensive, so in the interests of conserving it I'll usually have one or two pours before moving on to something else. But if I climb the quality ladder and move on to something equally good or better, I sometimes have nowhere else to go after that second bottle has been sampled. By this I mean that I may still have the desire for another small pour or two, but with the taste buds dulling by this point in the evening, it gets harder to fully appreciate that final top shelf pour.
    That's so true. It often happens that I experience a 'ceiling effect' and have literally nowhere to go after a certain point. This happens to me especially with scotch as I have fewer bottles to choose from and may have been craving a certain pour all day (i.e., Uiegedail). In this case I almost have to power down something else (i.e., Ardberg 10) to get the palate ready to appreciate it. Unfortunately, where do I go from there? I may not want another as you said because I don't want to kill the bottle off too fast etc... Now I'm forced to take a pour from another top shelf (Laga 16) that won't hit the spot in the same way as it would had it been the follow-up of another pour.

Ahhhhhh what great problems we have