Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM Dec09: Buffalo Trace

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I'm torn on BT. I bought a couple bottles a while back at about $22 each. I thought the juice was pretty good at that price. It's now up in the $27-30 range around here, and I'm not sure I'd pay that much for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    They have started stocking BT at Alabama ABC, but they are charging a fortune for it, around $35. I would like to scrape up the funds to try a bottle, though. We'll see.

Tim
    How's $19.99?

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1031933

It's on sale, $5 off. Not sure what the shipping is, but it's probably pricey since you're so far away. I checked, and they'll ship to AL, but you have to call for a shipping price.

I live in state, and here's my shipping costs. $10 a bottle, $15 for six bottles and up to $22 for a 12 bottle case.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I think I posted this about another bourbon before, but my analogy pertains to BT too. You all know Goldilocks and the three bears, right? Well, "This bourbon is too sweet. This bourbon is too spicy. This bourbon is just right. Mmmmmm." To me, BT is kinda just right. A little spicyness, + a little sweetness = a flavor that is very well balanced. I can taste a little leather and tobacco, which is the spicy part. Plus there's an underlying sweetness I can't quite put my finger on. Caramel or candy corn perhaps? The price is usually pretty decent, which makes this bourbon a pretty good value too. All in all a very nice bourbon. I'll always have one or two in my cabinet. Joe

PS. The combination of leather and tobacco might be the grassy flavor that Oscar alluded to.
    All I can add to Joe's description (and praise) is to note its "subtle dry finish".
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

Last weekend I bought a bottle of this since I had not had any for awhile. It disappeared quite quickly. I do get the grass sensation but it doesn't bother me and reminds me of wheat grass shots.

It's def. a favorite of mine and I prefer it over anything else we have in Ohio around the $20 price point.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    They have started stocking BT at Alabama ABC, but they are charging a fortune for it, around $35. I would like to scrape up the funds to try a bottle, though. We'll see.

Tim
    I live on the Ala/Fla line. I do most of my shopping in Pensacola, FL. If you're down this way sometime, give me a heads-up and we might be able to put something together. Thinking out loud: I might could make a bourbon run ahead of time and meet you at our town's I-65 exit. This goes for any of you North Alabama bourbon hounds.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: BOTM Dec09: Buffalo Trace

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    I live on the Ala/Fla line. I do most of my shopping in Pensacola, FL. If you're down this way sometime, give me a heads-up and we might be able to put something together. Thinking out loud: I might could make a bourbon run ahead of time and meet you at our town's I-65 exit. This goes for any of you North Alabama bourbon hounds.
    That is very nice - Thanks!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

I'm a BT fan, matter of fact just yesterday I stopped by the BT gift shop just to look around.

However I don't seem to have any on the shelf right now, I'll correct that very soon!
    Jeff

Give me Bourbon or give me death! ~ Hondo (1982)

Connoisseur

I agree - a good everyday pour. I personally prefer the hand selected barrels I get from Roof Brothers, but The run of the mill BT is still a great value IMO.

Trippah and Admin

If I was keeping track, BT is easily the bourbon that I have consumed the most of over the last year. Since I talked my local bowling alley into stocking it behind the bar, I've been able to enjoy a pour or two after my Monday and Thursday bowling nights for some time. The fact that they have it mis-priced in the computer (4.25 or so for a double) makes it that much more enjoyable.

Although I love it straight or on the rocks, I have the barkeep toss in a couple of cherries which really brings out the barrel flavors (vanilla/caramel).

Two thumbs up from me for BT!
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

I'm fresh out of BT right now...I had two bottles in the bunker but they disappeared rather quickly. I've had the Binny's BT and I can say that it is definitely in my top 5 of under $25 bottlings...a fantastic pour IMO!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I'll absolutely second Joe's comments here -- I've been enjoying a newly opened bottle for a few days now. I describe the underlying sweetness as "toasted marshmallow" and I really think that this is the best deal out there for $20. I will add that I think BT is a really good first drink of the night but may suffer after some bolder pours. This has the leather & tobacco hints that I love in a good bourbon without the bitter rye notes that seem to overwhelm the offerings from the second BT mashbill.
    I intend on opening a bottle of BT later tonight. For now, Ive been eating grapefruit and I have found that to interfere with properly tasting bourbons, or any alcohol for that matter, don't know why, its just one of those things.

The "toasted marshmallow" is right on, I mean you nailed it.....

Sometimes after a couple glasses it can be a little too sweet, a little too much "marshmallow" and not enough "toasted" but nonetheless I love this bourbon. It sadens me that it gets a bad rap in some quarters from being "musty", something that I've never picked up on.

Perhaps I'll post some fresh impressions later......