Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Dusty Hunters, Are These Treasures or Trash

Here are my purchases from a cache of dusties I found at a local liquor store. Please help me out in terms of what these are and whether they are any good. All of them have tax stamps on the bottle caps. I'll try to give relevant information. All have proof but not abv listed.

1. Old Forester, 86 Proof, 4 years old, 1 quart (no metric). Numbers on the bottom of the bottle include 78, 2, 5036 (cost to me $16.99).

2. Old Overholt, 86 proof, bottled at Cincinnati Ohio by A Overholt, distilled in KY, 4 yo, 750 ml. Bottom of bottle says 76 (underlined), 30D, 582, 9, D-1, 84. Cost to me: $9.99. Is this Beam stuff or earlier?

3. Old Crow, W.A. Gaines, Division of the Old Crow Distillery Co, Frankfort, 4yo, 80 proof, 375 ml, Bottom of bottle: 353, 2, 24, 85. Cost to me $9.99Is this pre-Beam? Any good?

4. Old Charter, 7 years old, Distilled by Old Charter Distillery, Louisville, 86 proof, no size on label, but bottle is marked as 375 ml. Bottom of bottle: 12(underlined), 3. Cost to me $9.99. I don't know much about the history of Old Charter. Was it an Ancient Age brand?

There's more of all of these on the shelf, so if one is particularly good, I can return. Also some old blended whiskies including Fleischman's and a few I'd never heard of, but I figure it's not worth buying blendeds.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dusties 1.jpg

Guru

Re: Dusty Hunters, Are These Treasures or Trash

Old Charter has a long history but in the era in question it was a product of United Distillers. It was made at the Bernheim plant in Louisville along with its sister brand IW Harper. I've never had an OC from that era (that wasn't tainted) but the Harpers I've had were pretty dull.

The Old Forester BiBs are more sought after, but if you like Old Forester, that one shouldn't disappoint.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Thanks Josh. They also had an old looking Ancient Age.

Also, all of the tax stamps were broken or ripped. I assume that happens over time, but should that be a warning sign?

Disciple

The Overholt should be distilled at the old Granddad plant in Frankfurt and probably bottled 1984 or early 1985. I have had one of those and it was excellent Stu!

I dont know about the taste of the Crow, but 80 proof was probably to low even in those days.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

I have an Old Charter 7yr 86p liter open from the same time frame and I am having trouble choking it down. The bottle looks really cool on the bar so I just leave it.

I also have a 1987 Old Crow Nt'l Distillers liter and it is a great little 80 proofer. Lot's of flavor.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    I have an Old Charter 7yr 86p liter open from the same time frame and I am having trouble choking it down. The bottle looks really cool on the bar so I just leave it.
    I had one of those, in a 350 I think. Oscar gave it to me. Em gave it to him. I tasted it and gave up my supper. It got left at the gazebo. It was so terrible, it had to be tainted. Usually that musky "dusty" aroma dissapates in the first few sips. This bitch got worse and worse and worse.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Went back today to see what else they had. Here's what I found:

Old Taylor, 6yo, 86 proof, Frankfort, 82 on Bottle (Ancient Age distilled?) as well as an older Old Taylor 80 proof (78 on bottle).

Hiram Walker Straight Bourbon 80 proof

Bourbon de Luxe, 80 proof (Is that a Beam product)

Lots of other old crap, blended whiskey (including Barton), blended Scotch, brandy...I swear nothing in this store has moved for 20 years.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Went back today to see what else they had. Here's what I found:

Old Taylor, 6yo, 86 proof, Frankfort, 82 on Bottle (Ancient Age distilled?) as well as an older Old Taylor 80 proof (78 on bottle).

Hiram Walker Straight Bourbon 80 proof

Bourbon de Luxe, 80 proof (Is that a Beam product)

Lots of other old crap, blended whiskey (including Barton), blended Scotch, brandy...I swear nothing in this store has moved for 20 years.
    Your Old Taylor is the class of this bunch. National Distillers had Crow, Grand Dad and Taylor distilleries in Frankfort. AA need not enter into this one.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on the Bourbon deLuxe; before it was a bottom tier Beam product it was a bottom tier ND product. The glut caused it to have some older whiskies mixed in in the '80s, but make no mistake that it was whatever ND had on hand.

Hiram Walker? Well, noone exactly goes misty eyed over finding it that I know of. Good with ginger ale.

Roger

Virtuoso

My vote goes to Old Taylor. I've enjoyed my dusty bottles from 82 or 83.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Enthusiast

Hey Sku, never heard back from you on this thread. Ya crack open that Old Taylor yet? I'm holding onto any ND era OT I have at this point. I wanna make this stuff last 'til my dying day.

Did you try the Crow? I find it to be tasty for 80 proof. The '70s era 80 proof OTs I've had were also quite good.

On a side note/request: Do you keep your empty bottles? I'm in the market for a smaller (less than 750ml) ND Old Crow.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb