Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Recommend a Bourbon for in the wall

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    After being frustrated by a lot of old bottles and decanters that had the cork take over the taste, I'm going with a screw top and probably dip it in wax to discourage evaporation.
    if your going with a screw top how about OGD BIB?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

Nice. OGB BiB and ORVW 10/107 or maybe BT are my top two choices at the moment.

This brings up another question - new topic and should be anew thread - what are the best Bourbons with screw tops?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Nice. OGB BiB and ORVW 10/107 or maybe BT are my top two choices at the moment.

This brings up another question - new topic and should be anew thread - what are the best Bourbons with screw tops?
    good question -- personally, I would say Weller 12 is my favorite screw top bourbon in current production . . . but both the VSOF & OCPR from the BHC had screw caps and they were pretty damn good . . . of course Dickel #12, OWA & ORVW all have screw caps -- all good, although I don't like any of themas much as the Weller 12.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Advanced Taster

hell, If I left a great bourbon in the wall, it would be some future, flavored vodka drinker that found it.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Connoisseur

I agree it needs to have the date on the bottle. I don't think the OF B-Day bourbon would fit the between wall specifications as it's a super wide bottle. How about Wathen's? It's dated right? Or WTKS? It should fit within the walls.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    I agree it needs to have the date on the bottle. I don't think the OF B-Day bourbon would fit the between wall specifications as it's a super wide bottle. How about Wathen's? It's dated right? Or WTKS? It should fit within the walls.
    I seriously doubt that there is any bottle of bourbon that won't fit in a wall. Studs are 16" on center. The bottle would have to be 14.5" wide not to fit between studs. Bottle thickness would be more of an issue. Standard studs are 3.5" wide. What does a standard bottle measure? I'd guess around 3".

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I seriously doubt that there is any bottle of bourbon that won't fit in a wall. Studs are 16" on center. The bottle would have to be 14.5" wide not to fit between studs. Bottle thickness would be more of an issue. Standard studs are 3.5" wide. What does a standard bottle measure? I'd guess around 3".
    Why would I be talking about the bottle being able to fit the 16" between the studs? I of course was talking fitting the 3.5" front to back of wall space and an OF B-Day bourbon bottle is 5".

Virtuoso

I'm picturing the dry wall down at the bottom with a 3" semi circle bump out. Three generations of owners would be wondering what it was all about assuming it was a high tech green thingamajig in the wall....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    Why would I be talking about the bottle being able to fit the 16" between the studs? I of course was talking fitting the 3.5" front to back of wall space and an OF B-Day bourbon bottle is 5".
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. You said the bottle was "super wide"... not thick.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. You said the bottle was "super wide"... not thick.

I have had this problem... I just lube her up and use rubber boots as required