Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Will whiskey cocktails rule in 2003?

According to Matthew McGuire, writing recently in the Chicago Tribune, whiskey cocktails will be the hot drink trend of 2003. He writes, "'Just like women were smoking cigars several years ago, a lot of women are starting to join men in drinking bourbons and scotches,' says Dominic O'Mahony, co-owner of Garrett Ripley's. O'Mahony is quick to note, however, that cigar smoking is so very, very passe."

What do you think?

Guru

Re: Will whiskey cocktails rule in 2003?

I actually ordered a Manhattan cocktail in a restaurant, last week. I asked them to make it with Wild Turkey 101. The idiots gave me my cocktail made with Gentleman Jack and gave me a WT101 and water.

I drank the cocktail and sent the WT back and refused to pay for it. The Manhattan was pretty good.

Tim

Enthusiast

Whisky rules! I like that not too sure I want the demand and prices to go up and supply to go down.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Chuck,
    I read that blurb and was startled to see mint julep listed as making a comeback. I drink one at Derby time, but consider it an insult to bourbon (and the mint). Tell me the last time you heard someone say "Gimme another mint julep" and it wasn't at Churchill Downs? Do you think we''ll see Juleps on the "Umbrella Drink" menu at lounges soon?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

A well-made mint julep is a tasty drink, but I never find myself hankering for one other than on the first Saturday in May. Because you need fresh mint to make it properly, I can't see it ever becoming a bar "standard." On the other hand, it's a drink everyone has heard of, even if they haven't tried it. A bar could certainly use that fact to sell them, and maybe get some mileage out of it.

Administrator in exile

Leslie loves bourbon sours. 2 parts sours and 1 part bourbon. Add a little cherry juice and there you are. Not too impressive really, but it keeps her drinking bourbon. I need to put a lock on the liquor cabinet though, I think she has made a couple with my Kentucky Spirit

Enthusiast

Fresh mint is required for a well made mojito, and those are one of the current 'hot' cocktails, hence, more fresh mint behind the bar of good establishments. When/if I see fresh mint, I'm a lot more interested in a mint julep than if I spot a honkin' big bottle of "Colonel Fatlip's Old Fashioned Julep Mix".

Administrator in exile

Speaking of mixes, what exactly is in a bottle of Maker's Mark Mint Julep? Is it mint flavored Maker's Mark?

Guru

Pretty much... They basically add mint flavored simple syrup to regular makers... the proof is lower too, I think around 66 proof...

Taster

I guess I'm passe . Think I'll go fire up a Bolivar and think about that....