Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
    The Voshole

Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? Winter 09/10

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Grabbed a couple more Binny's Weller 12's for the bunker...that gives me 17 of these which should be enough stock for a couple years!
    I think you and Fishnbowljoe should have just bought a barrel!
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Novice

Went out to town yesterday and found a bottle of Buffalo Trace in a very small whiskey store in the centre of Munich. They had quite a nice selection actually (Tara for those of you that know the place maybe).

My bourbon experience is still limited at this stage by having had only Jim Beam white, then a double shot of Makers at a pub, and then the recent addition of FR yellow label.

Not sure what the price difference is in the US, but my goodness...for me at least the Buffalo Trace is worth every single cent extra (costs double FR yellow).
    While I do like the yellow label a lot (head and shoulders above Jim Beam white, Jack Daniels and to some extent also Makers Mark in the flavour department though less smooth) I think the bottle of BT has just so muhc more to offer.

Quick notes: Excellent complexity with layers and layers of different flavours developing. I was drinking it straight and it was the smoothest bourbon and also one of the smoothest whisky/whiskeys I ever had. The finish was looooong and very satisfying with its own development if you did not pick up the glass too soon again. Mouthfeel was again also excellent, oily and coating the inside of our mouth.

I did pick up some mint there, some fruit, caramel, flowers. spices, hint of pepper.....great. Only had a few shots as I also bought a bottle of RedBreast 12 year that I tried as well earlier. Awesome stuff....the best Irish whiskey I ever had....and from reviews it seems to be the case. Super smooth.

Cant wait for next month since I am burning to try out WT101 in either the bourbon or Rye form....cannot decide yet. but I have the buffalo to keep me company until then

Was out and about today. Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 (not Binny's) to replace the one I gave to a friend as a wedding present. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

On Sunday, I saw three bottles of AH Hirsch 16 at BevMo and picked up all three bottles at $289!! Grabbed them home and put them in one of the shelf. Then I started thinking that I don't really have any ties to this bottle and never tried them so that's crazy to spend so much. I rather get 9 bottles of PVW20 that I really like. So Monday, I went and return all of them.

Then I went to another place and purchase these set for half what I had spent.

1- AH Hirsh 16 at $199. (Just getting one to try because of the hype and rarity)
    1 - PVW 15 to bunker
    1 - PVW 20 to bunker
    1 - Handy to try

Attached Images Attached Images

I didn't purchase it, but I was gifted a 1990 Beam Corvette decanter by a co-worker. It is full, and the tax stamp is intact. Can't wait to try it. Might have to open it later tonight. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

My local store is now stocking Elmer T Lee. First that I've ever seen it in Georgia. I didn't need it, as I stock up when I go to Tennessee, but I bought one anyway as a show of Support.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

I was in one of those neighborhoods again on the way home today and stopped in and grabbed another 3 Liters of Old Taylor from 1983. The old guy behind the counter vanished for a bit and came back with all the dust knocked off them.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    I was in one of those neighborhoods again on the way home today and stopped in and grabbed another 3 Liters of Old Taylor from 1983. The old guy behind the counter vanished for a bit and came back with all the dust knocked off them.

Tony
    BIBs? .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Makopa View Post
    Not sure what the price difference is in the US, but my goodness...for me at least the Buffalo Trace is worth every single cent extra (costs double FR yellow).

While I do like the yellow label a lot (head and shoulders above Jim Beam white, Jack Daniels and to some extent also Makers Mark in the flavour department though less smooth) I think the bottle of BT has just so muhc more to offer.
    Great tasting notes! The BT sounds great but the price puzzles me. I am beginning to wonder if there is an international version that is different from the U.S. version.

Here in my state Four Roses (Yellow) is $18.97. Buffalo Trace is $23.96.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Stopped by Julio's today and picked up some Baby Saz, Julio's Barrel select. Looking forward to see how the boys did on their barrel selection.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!