Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

What's The Woop-De-Doo About Jack Daniel's?

Could someone please explain the big woop-de-doo about Jack Daniels's? Since they lowered the proof of the booze in the bottle I've been having a hard time justifying a purchase. I'm not saying it is gut rot but I would put it about the same quality as a regular run of the mill Bourbon. To my mind not worthy of the extra money they seem to be asking. So what am I missing here? Is the extra price of Jack Daniel's all about hype and advertising or do some of you understand where that extra money goes into the bottle?

Advanced Taster

Re: What's The Woop-De-Doo About Jack Daniel's?

Yeah, I can remember when it was 7 years old and 90 proof. It is now pretty pedestrian stuff. I don't buy it any more since it has been cut down to 80 proof. Too many really good bourbons out there in competition.

Guru

Synthetic pseudo-culture, also know as marketing.

Taster

Plus, it's decent enough stuff. I drunk a lot of it when I drank. (I just "sip" now) However, I've moved on to fine Scotch and now fine bourbon.

I guess you can thank Van Halen. They made the stuff hugely popular in the early 80's and late 80's. They even have a song titled "Take Your Whiskey Home" that I posted in the Whiskey Lyrics thread and the former bass player Michael Anthony has a bass guitar shaped and painted up like a bottle of JD.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The current bottlings are actually excellent straight whiskey, not to mention the Single Barrel bottlings. The flavour is quite pronounced with notes of pear-like fruit, candy and light earth. A distinctive and quality product. I believe some people tend to overlook it based on it coming from outside Kentucky, but it is a solid product and (again IMO) rather improved in recent years.

Gary

Connoisseur

On the BE board a similar discussion was raised a few
    months back and someone asked "...is Jack Daniel's
    still relevant? ".

My reply was that "...I think Jack projects a certain "attitude"
    which may account for some of the popularity. It's not at
    the cheap end and there are certainly more expensive pours
    out there but maybe it's just "cool" to say you drink JD. "

Maybe goes back to the Sinatra days - JD was a "mans" drink
    and that just kinda stuck or the image they wanna project.

No question the image was and is a big part of it. But I don't think it could have sustained its popularity based just on image. I will say that until a few years ago, I felt Jack Daniels (any version) was not as good as I remembered it from the 1970's, but in recent years I feel it has improved and is on form. Even the 80 proof offers a fair amount of taste and character compared to most 80 proof bourbons.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-24-2009 at 16:22.

Enthusiast

OK, good answers. I posted that question as I was headed out to a local booze shop that had the 1.75 liter bottle on sale for $28. I was headed out the door to pick up a few bottles and still waffling about if I should drop the cash on the Jack Daniel's or something else. To me it is just a drinking whiskey....not, as has been stated, a sipping whiskey, so I wanted to know if it was good enough to spend more for it than any other regular drinking whiskey. I will tell in a few weeks when I get around to opening one of the bottles I picked up. Still, I think it is whole lot of hype so the stuff in the bottle better be worthy of the money or this will be the last Jack Daniel's purchase by myself.

Well, my suggestion would be if possible to purchase the Single Barrel. I'd rather have less of that than more of the other iterations. It really showcases the brand to its best.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    The current bottlings are actually excellent straight whiskey, not to mention the Single Barrel bottlings. The flavour is quite pronounced with notes of pear-like fruit, candy and light earth. A distinctive and quality product. I believe some people tend to overlook it based on it coming from outside Kentucky, but it is a solid product and (again IMO) rather improved in recent years.

Gary

i agree. it's like the hoopla over it is what sells it for some folks, but for me, it gets in the way...and last year, i finally got that out of the way, tried some and have some respect for it. i am sure it is can't compare to the original stuff, but i get my virtual sense of what it might've been like but trying those commemorative 90 proof bottlings. actually very nice and i get a small sense of spectrum (not value-laden!) that goes from TN whiskey (banana/esters) to bourbon (caramel, dried fruit) to rye whiskey (spicy old leather)...i know that's very generalizing, but it's close. i think.

i almost bought the SBarrel today in Delaware for $38...but i am in a mad belgian lambic mood. and my hopbomb mood isn't taking it lightly...
    HUP!