Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What's The Woop-De-Doo About Jack Daniel's?

I like it. It's been 30 years since this was a regular pour for me, but every three or four months I pull it out to remind me that I like it. It compares favorably to other drinks that cost much more. The other day I enjoyed it as a complement to Jefferson Reserve Small Batch.

"Over-priced" is different than "bad whiskey". It IS the former, in my (and many others') opinion. It isn't the latter -- though, it also may not be your cup of tea, particularly, if you like standard bourbon.
    But, even the 'over-priced' judgment is an opinion. It's no secret that they sell all they can make. Some would say that makes JD under-priced.
    It would NOT be me, however.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Well, my suggestion would be if possible to purchase the Single Barrel. I'd rather have less of that than more of the other iterations. It really showcases the brand to its best.

Gary
    A friend of mine bought a sealed bottle of the JD Single Barrel at an estate sale last week for $4 () and it was excellent. We loved it! But for the fact that it typically sells for just over $40 around here, I'd buy it with regularity.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Once in a blue moon I pick up a bottle of the Single Barrel. But I have to be flush with cash and in just the right mood. Make that once every several blue moons.

The standard offering is just as over-priced as the Single Barel, if not more so, and under proofed to boot.

I remember the year I got married, 1999, I could pick up a fifth of 86 proof Jack for 13.99, when it was on sale.

Enthusiast

I don't dislike it. There are just hundreds of other bottles I'd buy before I bought Jack. Also, Jack fundamentalists are really annoying. I worked with one guy who would trash any bourbon you would mention and swear on his mother's grave that Jack was the absolute pinnacle of quality. It was amusing for about 12 seconds.
    We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.

Virtuoso

I don't know what it is about JD, but it makes me sick. The last two times I drank any (many years ago), I ended up throwing up. I can drink twice as much WT101 and not get sick at all.

Novice

Jack drinkers are hardcore brand loyal drinkers and you could offer them the best tasting whiskey in the whole world and they will still say they like their Jack better. Trust me i have tasted many of people on other stuff and they still go back to jack. Its all about the image and name not quality to most of em...
    Last edited by Cmurfs73; 01-04-2010 at 16:32.

Connoisseur

I enjoy the JD Single Barrel. I drank a bottle of late 90's vintage over the holidays. I have also drank several of the 90 proof Gold Medals. The higher proof is the way to drink Jack no doubt, but the price does not justify what's in the bottle. JD at 80 proof is not near as flavorful as another overpriced 80 proofer 4 Roses. Both are good, but one should never have to pay over $20 for 80 proof anything. That's why vodka and all the other bastard liquors can kiss my @$$!

Connoisseur

I think it's strange that Jack Daniels has this reputation of being a bold, even harsh drink, as someone pointed out a "man's drink", when in fact it is fairly sweet and mellow.

I think as far as hype vs. quality, it is in the same boat as Crown Royal, Glenfiddich, Jameson, Johnnie Walker, etc. The casual drinker swears by it, claims it is the best out there, and that becomes the common perception. Then there is a backlash from connoiseurs who claim it tastes like paint thinner or gasoline and shoulder be poured down the drain. I think the truth falls somewhere in between: none of the above whiskies are "the best" in their respective categories, but they are far better than a lot of connoiseurs give them credit for.

As to whether it is overpriced, I guess it depends where you live. Jack Daniels is one of the three cheapest American whiskies where I come from, the others being Jim Beam and Wild Turkey. I would probably take JD over those other two myself.

Connoisseur

I agree with those who chalk a lot of it up to image and marketing. That said, JD's not bad and I'll never turn one down if offered. However, I don't keep a bottle at home.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?