Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What's The Woop-De-Doo About Jack Daniel's?

Similar to some folks that don't know any better thinking that Cuervo Gold is the best tequila, when actually it's one of the worst. Not saying that that JD is one of the worst whiskies, just that there are a lot of people out there that may have accepted it as the best without having tried anything else.
    Last edited by gblick; 01-14-2010 at 07:50.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I think it's strange that Jack Daniels has this reputation of being a bold, even harsh drink, as someone pointed out a "man's drink", when in fact it is fairly sweet and mellow.

I think as far as hype vs. quality, it is in the same boat as Crown Royal, Glenfiddich, Jameson, Johnnie Walker, etc. The casual drinker swears by it, claims it is the best out there, and that becomes the common perception. Then there is a backlash from connoiseurs who claim it tastes like paint thinner or gasoline and shoulder be poured down the drain. I think the truth falls somewhere in between: none of the above whiskies are "the best" in their respective categories, but they are far better than a lot of connoiseurs give them credit for.

As to whether it is overpriced, I guess it depends where you live. Jack Daniels is one of the three cheapest American whiskies where I come from, the others being Jim Beam and Wild Turkey. I would probably take JD over those other two myself.
    Wild Turkey 101 is in a class of it's own far far above the likes of a Jack Daniel's or Jim Beam. Far Far Far above. If just comparing 80 proofers I would still choose Turkey. Those three names should NEVER be used in the same sentence. How dare you!!! I kid of course, to each his own, but your wrong none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    Wild Turkey 101 is in a class of it's own far far above the likes of a Jack Daniel's or Jim Beam. Far Far Far above. If just comparing 80 proofers I would still choose Turkey. Those three names should NEVER be used in the same sentence. How dare you!!! I kid of course, to each his own, but your wrong none the less.
    What he said!!!!!!
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Irreverent One

I think as far as hype vs. quality, it is in the same boat as Crown Royal, Glenfiddich, Jameson, Johnnie Walker, etc. The casual drinker swears by it, claims it is the best out there, and that becomes the common perception.
    I Absolutely agree.

Connoisseur

I wouldn't know about 101, as only the 80 proofer is available here. To my palate it seemed rather dull and lifeless. Maybe I was expecting too much. I would take Jim Beam Black any day, for roughly the same price.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

It's all de-doo and no whoop?

Connoisseur

I wouldn't know about 101, as only the 80 proofer is available here. To my palate it seemed rather dull and lifeless. Maybe I was expecting too much. I would take Jim Beam Black any day, for roughly the same price.
    Well Jim Beam black is a higher proof and tastes better than 80 proof WT I agree. But straight 80 proof comparisons I would still go with WT. I would rather go with dull and lifeless than JB white "tastes like ass" and JD Black "dull and lifeless" with a big kick in the rear of "costs too much."

Connoisseur

yeah, turkey has it's own marketing strength, but it's done with class...and it's a class pour. i admit i've missed out on the 80 and the bottles that cost over $100...

i admit, i wish i had a bottle of the old jack. i like the banana notes. alot.
    HUP!

Connoisseur

I just caught this. Forget Haiti, we have a much bigger crisis on our hands. There is NO WILD TURKEY 101 available in all of Canada (I exagerate a little for affect), but seriously. No 101. You guys have universal health care and NO Turkey 101. The UN is on it's way with supplies. Please don't hold the US accountable.

Taster

Not a fan of regular Jack, but I enjoyed a sample of the single barrel. George Dickel is the other Tenn. whiskey, which I think is a much better product at almost 1/2 the price and 45% vs 40%.