Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Whiskey thief...

I think I may have found the long lost whiskey thief from Michter's Distillery in Schaefferstown, PA. I think it also may have been modified over the years. I've been trying to find pictures of whiskey theifs online but they are few and far between and they are often shown sticking into a barrel. Does anyone have good pictures of them? I want to find out if what I have was in fact a whiskey thief and also how to put it back to its original form.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Whiskey thief...

Why not post some pictures of how it looks now.

Also, I'd be wary of trying to undo and changes that have happened to it over the years, as it is always nearly impossible to change things back without losing some of the original charm that has occurred over the years. Leave it as is, and tell the story of the changes.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Any ideas? The handle on the short one is what tipped me off to it's possible past. An ex-employee of Michter's told the guy I bought it from that it may have been the thief and has now been modified to a different purpose. No idea on the second piece. ANY help with these would be appreciated!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'm not sure, it looks a bit chunky to be a thief...what is that 2" 2.5" across?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

2" Type K copper. The solder on the cap over the end opposite the handle is different than the solder on the handle so I think it was added later.

Virtuoso

Search google for "barrel thief" instead of "whiskey thief" and I think you will find what you are looking for. They are very straight forward tools. They are usually about an inch wide with a taper at the dipping end and a cap with a small hole on the handle end. They are often made of copper, stainless steel or glass.

I have included a picture of a custom one made by someone at ADI
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

So if my piece is not a thief, any thoughts on what it could be? Or the other piece? Or was the guy that I bought the stuff from lied to about it being part of a distillery?

Virtuoso

My first thought was that it looked way too shiny to have seen much use. Beyond that, I don't have a clue.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

It's been thoroughly cleaned by someone. There are remnants of red paint on the solder joints of both pieces.

Apprentice

Does the longer one have a screen or holes in the silver area? Buffalo Trace has a very similar looking device for sampling fermentors. The bottom valve is closed and it is dropped into the fermentor. The thin portion of the beer will pass through the screen and when the sampler is pulled out, the valve is opened to drain the liquid into a cup.

There are two on them at BT, and they are always sitting out. You may even catch them being used if you go on a tour.

Kevin