Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Bourbon Magazine

Any good magazines devoted to bourbon?

Enthusiast

Re: Bourbon Magazine

Bourbon Review is the only one I know of that is devoted entirely to bourbon.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    Bourbon Review is the only one I know of that is devoted entirely to bourbon.
    What do you think of it?

I'd also broaden my inquiry to maganizes devoted to whiskey if bourbon is too narrow a subject.

Thanks.

Enthusiast

I like it, but considering that it only comes out quarterly I would like to see a little less ad to content ratio.

I'm not a Scotch guy so I never really picked up Malt Advocate, but there was a thread saying that they usually devote some decent space to bourbon. Plus, John Hansell, the Editor in Chief posts here from time to time. It is definitely on my list to check out.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Malt Advocate is about 65-70% Scotch but they spend some space dedicated to bourbon and usually do about 3 bourbon reviews and at least one Rye whiskey review. They also leave space for Irish whiskey and some times rye whiskey articles as well no more than a magazine subscription cost it's worth having come to your door 4 times a year. The bourbon distilleries are advertising pretty heavily on there now so maybe they will expand their bourbon coverage. John Hansell doesn't post a lot on here but when he does it usually something that's worth reading and/or checking out.

I haven't read whisky magazine but if their site is any indication bourbon doesn't get a lot of attention in their magazine if any at all. Their forum section of their site it does get a few threads but not many.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 12-25-2009 at 09:38.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

MA is running a 2-for-1 sub special until Dec. 31.
    Valid for any new subscriber, regardless of where
    you live.

Direct link here.

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    MA is running a 2-for-1 sub special until Dec. 31.
    Valid for any new subscriber, regardless of where
    you live.

Direct link here.
    I had read about this offer a month ago on another thread and decided to give it a try. Recieved my first issue last week, and I'm very glad I subscribed. Nice magazine. Even though I don't drink other whiskey's (at least for now), there's enough on bourbon to make it a great read if that's all you're looking for.
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    ... there's enough on bourbon to make it a great read if that's all you're looking for.
    There you go. And the 2-4-1 deal makes it a no-brainer.
    Go ahead, treat yourself - you deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Malt Advocate is about 65-70% Scotch but they spend some space dedicated to bourbon and usually do about 3 bourbon reviews and at least one Rye whiskey review. They also leave space for Irish whiskey and some times rye whiskey articles as well no more than a magazine subscription cost it's worth having come to your door 4 times a year. The bourbon distilleries are advertising pretty heavily on there now so maybe they will expand their bourbon coverage. John Hansell doesn't post a lot on here but when he does it usually something that's worth reading and/or checking out.

I haven't read whisky magazine but if their site is any indication bourbon doesn't get a lot of attention in their magazine if any at all. Their forum section of their site it does get a few threads but not many.
    As a matter of fact if someone comes on their forum with a difficult bourbon question they usually will be referred back to this site by someone on the Whiskey Magazine Forum Site.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

I subscribe to both Malt Advocate and Bourbon Review.
    They are both real inexpensive and there may only be one good article per issue but I'm always glad to read it, besides like I said they don't cost much.
    One problem with those magazines is that by the time you read about something that you may want to buy, like a special release bottle, it's usually sold out by the time the news gets published.
    The best way to stay on top of things is to participate here on StraightBourbon.com
    and Chuck Cowdery's blog at www.chuckcowdery.blogspot.com
    Also John Hansell's blog at http://blog.maltadvocate.com

If not interested in scotch then Whisky isn't a good buy after the other two magazines.
    Last edited by OscarV; 12-26-2009 at 04:22.
    ovh