Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel of fun

Guru

Barrel of fun

So, I found and extra barrel on craigslist for $45 when I was looking for God knows what and decided I would try my hand at a little barrel fun...

I figured if I did OK with this one I would then convert the other two I have as well... So here are the results...

Barrel Shot 1.jpg
    All three barrels I have with my Jiggers and a Gallon of WT

Barrel Shot 2.jpg
    The converted barrel

Barrel Shot 3.jpg
    Open with all three

Barrel Shot 4.jpg
    Up close. Makes great storage

I can now see why folks charge $800 plus to build these puppies... I purchased ~$100 in hardware, $25 for the one glass shelf ... so I am into this one for about $175.

I started this little effort Wednesday, worked through Thursday and put the finishing touches on it today. I put a ton of time (probably 20 hrs of so). I am going to put one more shelf in when I find another glass table that is around 25-26" diameter on Craigslist.

Stain in Golden Oak and all of the Hardware is galvanized like the bands on it. I built the latch because I did not find anything I liked... Each stave was drilled and screwed into place. About 200 holes just in the bands....

I learned a ton on this one so the next will be better in a few areas. I need to secure the staves on the inside prior to cutting then put to make it easier...

Anyone else done one of these?

Guru

Re: Barrel of fun

Em,

That looks very good. Nice setup.

Will

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    I learned a ton on this one so the next will be better in a few areas. I need to secure the staves on the inside prior to cutting then put to make it easier...

Anyone else done one of these?
    I have two barrels and have thought about doing
    something like this. Looks like you came up with
    a nice looking finished product. I especially like
    the hinged top with handle for glass storage. Is
    that the glass shelf you refer to? A second shelf
    in the middle might look nice. I'd think a wood shelf
    would be easier to attach (from the outside) - how
    would you attach a glass one?

If I could be so selfish, if you do decide to do another,
    I'd sure be interested in seeing photos of your step-by-step
    progress with descriptions of what happens at each
    step. For example, what kind of saw is used to cut
    through the bands? Are the staves "secured" somehow
    before cutting so they don't "flop around" once you
    start cutting? And as for the top, did you just cut
    that section and connect the staves after or were
    all drilled and screwed before starting any work?

And if you "...need to secure the staves on the inside
    prior to cutting then put to make it easier... ", does
    that mean you did the top section first so that the
    insides would be "easier"?

This could become a nice barrel conversion "tutorial"
    thread but I understand if documenting it might be a
    hassle. Either way - nice job!

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Em,

That looks very good. Nice setup.

Will
    Couldn't agree more, a great job! The additional shelf will really make for excellent storage. Keep us updated.
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    how would you attach a glass one?

You put blocks of wood on the inside. I used oak for that top glass shelf and a metal band across the opening on the door side (cross from the center to the door edge on both). The staves are thick, so you can use a good 1 1/2 nail to put in the blocks that are about the width of the stave.

If I could be so selfish, if you do decide to do another, I'd sure be interested in seeing photos of your step-by-step progress with descriptions of what happens at each step. For example, what kind of saw is used to cut through the bands?

Sure. I used a jig saw/sawzall and a grinder at different times. I found the small grinder with a metal wheel worked the best and allowed for shaping.

Are the staves "secured" somehow before cutting so they don't "flop around" once you start cutting? And as for the top, did you just cut
    that section and connect the staves after or were all drilled and screwed before starting any work?
    This was a bit tricky. I took off all but the bottom band so I could take the top out and then put the 2nd from the top and bottom band back. I knocked them down evenly so that I could keep it nice and tight. Each barrel is a bit different depending on how much they have dried and who built them so you will have to work this band to fit.

Once I had the 2nd from the top band in place, I drilled a hold center and center through each band with respect to the stave and then added a sheet metal screw that finished flat on the band. Once I finished the top, I flipped the barrel and did it again... this made the barrel rock solid to work with.

And if you "...need to secure the staves on the inside prior to cutting then put to make it easier... ", does that mean you did the top section first so that the insides would be "easier"?

I did the top first... The next time I will use HW like I did this time, but put it is first from the opt (barrel on its side to make it easy). I put a cross brace where I cut the lid to secure it and then nailed the small portion down. I then added the hinges.

This could become a nice barrel conversion "tutorial" thread but I understand if documenting it might be a hassle.

I thought about this, but this time I was figuring this puppy out as I went. The next one will go smoother and take longer I bet. I tend to work longer on stuff as I am figuring it out... I did not even take a before picture...

As an extra, for the top and bottom band, I cut them because the barrel had shrunk and they would not have fit right at the top and bottom. This way I got to keep the metal band strength and oak protection and hid the cut at the back.

The single hinges move a little, but I just lift the door up as I am putting it back in place. This actually helps to hold the doors open in the right spot... I might change this for the next set by squaring the barrel and doors with woodblocks before I add double hinges...

Now that I have one to study, I am sure I will find a bunch of little things I want to do different... good thing I am going camping next week or I would start on the next one

Guru

That looks awesome, Emerald.

Enthusiast

Great project Emerald...when are you going to expand your bunker so you can fit all the bourbon and barrels in one place?
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Guru

Em, where'd you get a jigger that big? Did you make it? How much does each side hold?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Em, where'd you get a jigger that big? Did you make it? How much does each side hold?
    13 oz and 14 oz... I stopped at this church garage sale when I was in WA this past summer coming back from Forks to Seattle.

It was part of a retro lamp from the 60ish. I just had to have it for the big $1 they were asking for it.

I then gutted it and converted it into the Grand Jigger you see... Perfect for mixing a little night cap

I now run a 1/2-1 oz, .75-1.5 oz, 1-2 oz and 13-14 oz Jigger for gatherings... ... and yes, my wife thinks I am crazy. But I feel fine.

Virtuoso

Nice work on the barrel.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz