Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,726

    Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    Since we are going camping next week, I decided to add a little extra cooking/smocking this year to the menu. I hickory smoked a good 17lb bid plus a Roast Beef and some pork. The pork was a combo rib and tenderloin combined. I had not seen this cut before so I grabbed a couple... and ooh baby is that good...

    I used a rub on the beef & pork smoked with hickory and just hickory smoke on the turkey. Let me tell ya folks, them good eats... what did you cook up for Christmas dinner...?

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    2,065

    Re: Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    Smoked turkey breast from the Turkey Farm with the usual trimmings. I also made a cranberry mold.

    Soon I'll be enjoying a Bell's Christmas Ale.

  3. #3
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Inland Empire - SoCal
    Posts
    72

    Re: Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Smoked turkey breast from the Turkey Farm with the usual trimmings. I also made a cranberry mold.

    Soon I'll be enjoying a Bell's Christmas Ale.
    Wow, that's pretty much what we're having, down to the cranberry mold.

    I love my mom's old recipe for cranberry mold. It's made with pineapple, which really goes fantastic with cranberry. Add a few pineapple rings with a large bag of frozen cranberries, put them in the food processor until well chopped, and mix in the rest of the ingredients. The cranberries aren't cooked so they remain crisp and tart. Awesome stuff.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    2,065

    Re: Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    The cranberry mold is raw cranberries, oranges, sugar and Jell-o. 24 oz washed and picked cranberries finely chopped in a food processor, the zest from two medium oranges and two peeled oranges also food processed. Two packages of cranberry Jell-o and a cup of sugar. My mom's receipt called for more sugar but since I've been diagnosed as a diabetic I've cut it down.

    My mom would make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas as it was a family favorite and particularly liked by my dad. When she could no longer function, I tried making it and it took several tries and a mistake before it was perfected. One Thanksgiving, my dad declared, what happened you made it like mom's! I had to confess that I made a mistake and forgot to add the sugar until some time later to luckily discover that it had not yet setup. So I added the sugar and it set up just like my mom's would. So each year I make it for both holidays and recall fond memories of both my parents.

    I really do wish they were still alive just to spend some time with them doing nothing special and to thank them again for all that they did for their family.

  5. #5
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Inland Empire - SoCal
    Posts
    72

    Re: Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    The cranberry mold is raw cranberries, oranges, sugar and Jell-o. 24 oz washed and picked cranberries finely chopped in a food processor, the zest from two medium oranges and two peeled oranges also food processed. Two packages of cranberry Jell-o and a cup of sugar. My mom's receipt called for more sugar but since I've been diagnosed as a diabetic I've cut it down.

    My mom would make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas as it was a family favorite and particularly liked by my dad. When she could no longer function, I tried making it and it took several tries and a mistake before it was perfected. One Thanksgiving, my dad declared, what happened you made it like mom's! I had to confess that I made a mistake and forgot to add the sugar until some time later to luckily discover that it had not yet setup. So I added the sugar and it set up just like my mom's would. So each year I make it for both holidays and recall fond memories of both my parents.

    I really do wish they were still alive just to spend some time with them doing nothing special and to thank them again for all that they did for their family.
    It must be the same or very similar recipe I have. I use lemon Jell-O and unflavored Jell-O. My mom only made it for the Thanksgiving and Christmas and sometimes for Easter.

    I'm a diabetic, too. We're like brothers from another mother. But, my mother is still alive and just as painful as ever. (Hee-hee) Splenda is good stuff, when you get used to it.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,449

    Re: Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post

    The cranberry mold,................

    ....................My mom would make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas as it was a family favorite

    ....
    Your post reminds me of my Mother's Christmas fruit salad and memories of her.
    ovh

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    2,065

    Re: Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    Guys, thanks for the comments.

    I've had people suggest Splenda, but my diabetes is well controlled. I get by with Metformin, some diet control, and exercise.

  8. #8
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,032

    Re: Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    ..what did you cook up for Christmas dinner...?
    I smoked a turkey with hickory and we also had a spiral-sliced HoneyBaked ham. My brother brought over the homemade cornbread dressing (my mom's great recipe) and gravy, and of course we had all the other usual stuff with it.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,417

    Re: Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    I smoked a turkey with hickory and we also had a spiral-sliced HoneyBaked ham. My brother brought over the homemade cornbread dressing (my mom's great recipe) and gravy, and of course we had all the other usual stuff with it.
    Darn Gus, I had a heck of a lot to eat (and drink) over the Xmas holiday, but your post leaves me wanting more. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Toronto Bourbon Dinner
    By Gillman in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 08:16
  2. Pre-Dinner Bourbon
    By EvanB in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 15:21
  3. Bourbon Tasting and Dinner, Louisville 1/23
    By pepcycle in forum Bourbon and Food
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 08:10
  4. Bourbon for Thanksgiving dinner?
    By gaijim in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 21:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top