Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Who covers their bourbon for a period of time?

I have seen a few youtube reviews people say to cover the glass for 5 to 15 or 20 minutes before drinking, and see a lot of glencarin glass being sold with covers or lids if you want to call it, is this going over board or is their a real benefit to this? I feel this is contradictory to how we drink since we swirl the glass arrating the whiskey to open it up with the addition of air but yet it is being said to cover it up now..what is your opinion on this?
    Life is too short to drink bad bourbon and smoke bad cigars.

Enthusiast

Re: Who covers their bourbon for a period of time?

Covering the whisk(e)y allows vapors to build up, which will greatly assist in nosing said whisk(e)y. There's plenty of oxygen in the glass, and I don't think anyone has anything against swirling and then covering. I don't personally do this because I am an impatient person and I don't really keep tasting notes, but I wouldn't be averse to trying it someday if I ever remember to do so. Ralfy recommends saving the tops of whisk(e)y tubes and using those to avoid paying money for a cap to a glencairn.
    Eric

Connoisseur

If I'm doing an in-depth comparison (tasting) of some dram or drams, I always use a cover on the glencairn.
    I don't necessarily wait a great period of time; but do let the vapors concentrate for a few minutes.
    I find it allows a more careful analysis of the nose. I don't know that it has any other benefit.
    That said; I don't do it very often. It's a matter of getting at the pour and enjoying the dram sooner; and not being a patient person by nature I usually just get to the sniffing and drinking right away.

Enthusiast

Plus, it keeps the flies out of the glass...
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Enthusiast

Nosing glasses have tighter tops in order to limit the amount of aeration so that the full gamut of flavors slowly evaporate out so you can catch the complex flavors as they evaporate. Putting a lid on top only stops that process, which is good if you are doing very long tastings and don't want your whiskey to evaporate all of its flavors or you need to take a break and take the brisket out of the oven. But when you are sitting down with one glass, no. Don't do that. You are letting all those flavors build up and then get released when you open the lid and you could miss on stuff that gets over-powered by the other flavors. If you are getting a tight nose, try swirling it. I often do the slow inhale. A lot of people sniff violently, but a long deep drawn out inhale can help those flavors keep on streaming in. It also makes it much easier to take in if there is a lot of alcohol on the nose. This is just my experiential knowledge here, I could be wrong.

Guru

If I'm doing a studied tasting or blind comparison of something, I'll tend to put a glass lid/cover on it, hold it in my hands for a minute or two until I start to see some condensation on the cover, and then let it sit for a couple of minutes before nosing. Does that work? Hell if I know - just what I do And it feels like it works, so that's the important part
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Seems to be all kinds of science involved these days, just about drinking whiskey. Of course, you have to sell what you're selling. I get it.

I have 3 different whiskey glasses: rocks, snifter, glencairn. I usually don't think about what I'm going to use. I just grab and go.

And I usually don't nose, unless it's a totally new foreign pour.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    And I usually don't nose, unless it's a totally new foreign pour.
    See? Everybody is different, and each will enjoy his (or her) pour the way it suits him (or her) at the time. For me; the nose is almost as gratifying as the palate.... Even with very inexpensive Bourbons, I find the nose enjoyable . . . . Usually! Just MHO.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    If I'm doing a studied tasting or blind comparison of something, I'll tend to put a glass lid/cover on it, hold it in my hands for a minute or two until I start to see some condensation on the cover, and then let it sit for a couple of minutes before nosing. Does that work? Hell if I know - just what I do And it feels like it works, so that's the important part
    I'm betting that a lot of what we do related to everything we do is ritual. It is part of the experience. We do it because our grandfathers did it--and they didn't know why either. (Now, where did I put my velvet smoking jacket?)
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

A tasting glass has tapered sides to concentrate the aromas, and a cover just helps you control that process a little more. You let it sit and build for a couple minutes, then you can meter out as much or little as you desire.

Jim Rutledge keeps a watchglass on top of his tasting glass, so I'll say there is some merit in it. I don't do it mainly for the sake of simplicity.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."