Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Best Tasting Willett (Bourbon and Rye)

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I've consumed copious amounts of the two 'Doug' ryes as well as the Iron Fist and Velvet Glove selections and I must disagree.

The latter two had a harshness that wasn't present in the former, but it all depends on whose palate yours happens to follow.
    Hi Scott,

You are so privileged and I am so jealous. Those are amazing ryes however you look at it. I will love to take the worst. Kind of like choosing the better between the top five candidates in the miss universe pageant or who is the greatest heavyweight boxer from previous title holders.

Cheers,
    Hugh
    Last edited by tigerlam92; 10-29-2013 at 08:12.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Best Tasting Willett (Bourbon and Rye)

Not privileged by any means, just a matter of good timing.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Doug Phillips' Green Ink made an appearance at the recent Indy gathering. Now had several pours of that and the Neal/Doug. Both sublime and don't drink their proof( in a good way). I have yet to taste anything (rye or bourbon) better.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

I have only tried one Willett, TPS barrel 14a, 17 y/o wheater. Stellar, in my top 3 all time bourbons.

Advanced Taster

fellas, just read my way all through this thread as I consider myself a bit of a willett fan. only had the fam estate rye (4yo I believe) and a pretty hyped bourbon so far (x/98 bottles iirc). and the rye makes for a top notch manhattan/sazerac... my local dealer just got a 18/20yo fam estate bourbon and I was wondering if those are worth a healthy amount of money... will try to get more info on the bottlings.

Quote Originally Posted by chouffe62 View Post
    My nephew retired from the Navy last year after 20 years of service and his 20th wedding anniversary arrives in June. We thought a Hirsch 20 would make a really nice "20 years" gift theme.
    are you guys talking about the hirsch american whiskey 20yo special reserve 96 proof by any chance? bc I might be able to pick up a bottle...

cheers

Connoisseur

I've only had a sample of the Willett 8 yo wheater 1789b and it was sublime. Apart from that, my expertise level is still so low that I have no idea what to buy as far as Willetts go. Still a lot to learn.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ewj View Post
    fellas, just read my way all through this thread as I consider myself a bit of a willett fan. only had the fam estate rye (4yo I believe) and a pretty hyped bourbon so far (x/98 bottles iirc). and the rye makes for a top notch manhattan/sazerac... my local dealer just got a 18/20yo fam estate bourbon and I was wondering if those are worth a healthy amount of money... will try to get more info on the bottlings.

are you guys talking about the hirsch american whiskey 20yo special reserve 96 proof by any chance? bc I might be able to pick up a bottle...

cheers
    Hmm, maybe some more researching on Willett and Hirsch would be useful for you. There are tons of other good threads as well.

For Willett, the consensus is truly, you will need to know what bottle or barrel you are buying. Every other barrel could be night and day different for say Willet 18 year or 20 year. So you either need to know the barrel number or name on the bottle to know exactly what you are getting. If you are going blind then at least pick the person who chose the barrel not the bottle itself.

For Hirsch 20, please don't jump into conclusion yet . People reference Hirsch 20 for many different things and some are truly sublime other maybe not. Also lots of confusion with Hirsch and AH Hirsch as well.

Cheers

Disciple

I would love to try one (bourbon or rye) but all I ever see are the younger ryes. The price point and potential for variance steer me to other options. I am going to have to ask the manager at my local store what he suggests from his stock. The 8 year old wheater the Bingster tasted sounds pretty good.

Advanced Taster

@tigerlam: got quite some new infos on willett and their business model in this and some other thread. would you mind referencing me some threads that might heighten my hirsch-knowledge? gonna use the search function but happily acceptin help

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I have another one that I forgot about.
    It is a special selection by Binny's.
    The stats are as follows,

27 Years Old
    138.6 Proof
    Bottle No 19 of 24
    Distilled: December 5, 1980
    Cooperage: White Oak
    Stored In Warehouse: C
    Rick: NI
    Barrel No: 473

It seems that Joe AKA Lost Pollito @ Binny's was trying to keep track of all 24 bottles as to where they ended up.

Hey Joe, you still have that count?
    I have bottle number 18.