Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: What happens to bad barrels?

At one of the KBF functions this past year Jim Rutledge shared a story about a bad run that Four Roses had a number of years ago due to musty/contaminated corn. He said that one of their QA folks who is really sensitive to must picked it up and they rejected an entire batch. They alerted the other dsitillers as well to look out for the bad grain. Due to the nature of the musty contaminated batch, every piece of equipment had to be cleaned or sterilized and the batch was sold off to be redistilled a vodka. This was all done at a considerable expense.

If a distiller is prepared to kill an entire run due to an off flavor, killing a single off barrel is an easy choice and is just a cost of doing business.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

The old Hill and Hill distillery in Shively (behind the old Seagram's distillery) now owned by a company that makes industrial alcohol. They have a contract with all of the distilleries to purchase bad barrels for redistillation. The answer to your question about bad barrels is that they are now fueling your car or truck.

Mike Veach

Connoisseur

What happens to the barrels once they are emptied? I know at least for bourbon you can't re-use a barrel.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Trippah and Admin

They are sold for aging other spirits or beverages which don't have the same new barrel rule that bourbon has.

Tequila, malt whisky, Canadian whisky, beer, rum and others are aged in old bourbon barrels.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

The bourbon is sampled long before dumping day you can't sample every barrel right before you dump it.

The old barrels are also used for aging scotch.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I always wondered why there were not tons of bourbon barrels everywhere. I see real cheap whiskey called Banker's Club blended whiskey on the shelf in my local state store. First of all, what is it exactly? And second of all, is this stuff aged in re-used barrels?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

You may wish to familiarize yourself with the BATF regs particularly section 5.22 (b)
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    At one of the KBF functions this past year Jim Rutledge shared a story about a bad run that Four Roses had a number of years ago due to musty/contaminated corn.
    It sounds like an elevator blended away some bad corn, corn that got moldy likely from the elevator personnel not paying attention, faulty aeration/drying, the stirrator not working etc.

Blending away bad corn is no big deal if it is just going to be used for feed or made into industrial alcohol, but if your costumer is a whiskey distillery, that's not good.

Guru

EtOHchem...don't the distillers do QA on incoming materials?

Connoisseur

So are bad batches often the fault of bad products being distilled?

Also, I read over the blended whiskey section of the article and I had some difficulty following it. What I gathered from it is that blended whiskey (Like Banker's Club) is a blend of several different types of whiskeys (bourbon, rye, malt, corn). Is that correct? They talk about adding "neutral spirits" too. What exactly is that? And why is the stuff so cheap?