Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

Beer news:

http://www.nrc.nl/international/arti...ry_for_3.8_bln

Heineken is the Netherlands' largest brewer. Photo Bloomberg
    Heineken acquires Mexican brewery for 3.8 bln
    Published: 11 January 2010 16:56 | Changed: 11 January 2010 16:56
    By our news staff

The Dutch multinational Heineken has purchased the Mexican brewer Femsa Cerveza for 3.8 billion euros.

Tecate, Dos Equis, Sol and others.

I like Dos Equis and Tecate...have not tried Sol.

Connoisseur

Lots of beers going down lately. Lately I've had Stone Levitation, a bunch of Magic Hat from their Winter mixed pack, some Ramstein Winter Wheat, Smutty Nose Porter, IPA, and Pale Ale.

All in all lots of good beers. Out of all I was really impressed by Stone Levitation. A very nice Pale Ale with a great full bodied hop profile. I was quite shocked to see it was only 4.4 %. Highly recommended if you want a hop bomb but are not looking for a higher alcohol percentage.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Had some good beers in New York recently including a pumpkin stout from a brewery called Fisherman which was very good. I preferred it a little sweeter and added some Imperial stout to do that: it hardly affected the pumpkin spices but added to the velvety richness. Generally I don't go in for unusually flavored beers but this was a winner.

Another: Smuttynose IPA from Massachusetts. This had a big Amarillo hop character that was complex and orange-like, really good (not raw and grapefruit pith-like many APAs are).

Finally, Sierra Nevada Wet Hop ale. I was skeptical of the wet hop concept (because I had read hops should be properly dried before use) but this converted me. The complex hops flavors melded into the malt in a unique way. Grand cru stuff.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Stone IPA. Man I love IPAs.
    Amen! Stone, Southern Tier and Sierra Nevada are my all time favorite brands when it comes to IPA's.

I had a Saranac maple porter earlier, part of their 12 beers of winter mix pack. Pretty good, IMO. I couldnt pick up the maple, but there was definitely coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke. They should sell that label by itself!

Eric

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    I had a Saranac maple porter earlier, part of their 12 beers of winter mix pack. Pretty good, IMO. I couldnt pick up the maple, but there was definitely coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke. They should sell that label by itself!

Eric
    I did have a Saranac imperial stout at Oliver Twist in Stockholm last week Eric. I must say that I wasn’t impressed at all. Very light body despite almost 10% alcohol. Must have bin a big part of sugar in that mash.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Advanced Taster

Saranac is sort of hit and miss with their products. Their Pale Ale and IPA are ok, good for summertime when its hot outside and you're in the mood for something other than water. It's definitely better than Bud or Coors Light IMO. Their Black and Tan wasn't too bad either, but alot of their beers seem thin and watery to me, sometimes metallic.

As I've seen suggested for Sam Adams, I think Saranac would benefit from cutting back their portfolio, if you will, by a 1/3 or more and concentrate on improving a dozen or so labels.

Eric

Guru

Domaine DuPage, a French-style Biere de Garde ale, from the Two Brothers Brewing Company in the western suburbs of Chicago. Very nice flavor and made me think spring may just get here after all. Bottoms up, to that!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Leif, I would think you know Carnegie Porter and Sinebrychoff Porter (the latter from Finland as you know). I doubt any American Imperial porter can exceed these, especially the Koff.

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Leif, I would think you know Carnegie Porter and Sinebrychoff Porter (the latter from Finland as you know). I doubt any American Imperial porter can exceed these, especially the Koff.

Gary
    The Carnegie porter is an old label in Sweden Gary. It is a traditional a little sweet porter with low alcohol content (around 5.6) and it is relatively mild and a dissent beer but no favourite of mine. Still it may be the best full-scale brewery beer in Sweden. There are many porters from Swedish microbreweries that I like much more. I have only tasted the Sinebrychoff porter ones at the Helsinki beer festival in April. It was surprisingly good at around 7 % alcohol from a brewery that normally only make watery beer. Still there were much better porters from Finnish microbreweries at the event. Personally I think the better American imperial porters or stouts are enormously much better than these 2.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

Had the 2009 Trader Joe's beer... much better than the beer site reviews. Worth the $5 for a $750 easy....