Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Irreverent One

Re: What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

Sampled the Ninkasi "Total Domination" IPA recently - really liked it. Has a slight edge over Deschutes "Inversion", which had been my "go to" IPA.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Had the 2009 Trader Joe's beer... much better than the beer site reviews. Worth the $5 for a $750 easy....
    I thought the same. Good beer, good value.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

The other day I went to Rattle and Hum in NYC for a couple of pints. Had a Green Flash West Coast IPA first. Very nice, typical IPA.

While I was drinking that I noticed that they had about four beers on cask. I selected a Blue Point Sour Cherry Stout. I was a bit nervous about the sour cherry but it was very nice. I think I liked it more because it was on cask, very smooth. The cherry flavor was present in the nose but not the taste. Over all a nice beer.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru

Last night was Hurculees Double IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I really like the AG and need to pick up some Bouble Bastard...

Anyone know where I can pick up a 3 L of each of those? I kept meaning to grab one and now I know they are getting thin...

Anyhow... both great beers...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Last night was Hurculees Double IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I really like the AG and need to pick up some Bouble Bastard...

Anyone know where I can pick up a 3 L of each of those? I kept meaning to grab one and now I know they are getting thin...

Anyhow... both great beers...
    I really like the bubble Hercules Emerald, and I did have it both on tap and bottle in September on Stockholm beer and whisky festival. I did like it much more on tap despite being the same beer. It has been quit a long time since we had it in our government store (the 2008) and I am really looking forward for it to come again. The arrogant bastard on the other hand doesn’t impress that much on me.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

Goose Island Mild Winter Ale. Appropriate, given the mild winter we've had so far.
    Craig

Connoisseur

Victory V-12 - a Belgian style quad - good not great, not as great as real Belgian Quads such as Achel, Chimay, or Rochefort

Bellhaven Scottish Ale - nitrogen can and pours like a burgundy boddinton's, but better and a hint of sweetness and creamy. One of my new fav beers to just hang out with.

Lost Abbey Judgement Day - a quad from Oregon - I expecetd fireworks, it was a good beer, the alcohol came through a bit and it was spicier than I expected it to be.

Hobgoblin Dark English Ale - a solid brew, nice to have onhand as a house beer to serve to guests.

Ommegang Abbey Ale - for price this is a nice beer, a bit wine-like, but solid

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Goose Island Mild Winter Ale. Appropriate, given the mild winter we've had so far.
    Craig
    I almost picked up this beer today at Trader Joe's. How is it? By the way, our winter has been anything but mild, with loads of snow and extended periods of sub-freezing temps. I've had to drink lots of high octane juice this winter to keep the old bones warm.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Novice

Enjoyed the Hoppin' Frog Whisky Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. Imperial Stout last night. Let me tell ya, there's a reason this stuff was named one of the 50 best beers in the WORLD. It was incredibly complex, tons of coffee and chocolate. Rare, but if you can find it, buy it!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jsanford View Post
    Enjoyed the Hoppin' Frog Whisky Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. Imperial Stout last night. Let me tell ya, there's a reason this stuff was named one of the 50 best beers in the WORLD. It was incredibly complex, tons of coffee and chocolate. Rare, but if you can find it, buy it!
    That sure sounds good but I'm sure I've never seen it. I'll have to keep a lookout for it.