Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

Kilt Tilter Scotch Ale at Liberty Street Brewing in Plymouth. Creamy smooth and malty! I wish they'd have this year round.

Disciple

Last night I hung at New Holland. Dragon's Milk, Pilgrims Pole, Mad Hatter, and Cabin Fever. Delicious evening.

Connoisseur

Last night had some local NJ beers. River Horse Belgian Freeze and Ramstein Winter Wheat. I'm beginning to really enjoy both of those. After that had a Red Hook ESB (very nice, malty?) and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout for desert!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Enthusiast

Regular Guiness. The Anthony Bourdain in Ireland episode got me itching for this and I'm loving it. It's a beer that tastes like cofee in a good way.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

When in New York recently, I ran into Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout again. I really like the combination of stout and pumpkin beer flavours. At home, in the absence of a purpose-made pumpkin stout, I made my own. I combined 2/3rds a local craft stout and 1/3rd MacAuslan Pumpkin Ale from Montreal. I'm just loving the blending, it is very close to Fisherman's version or perhaps better. You can taste the gourd-like taste of the pumpkin beer but against a mild dark roasted palate highlighted with pumpkin pie spicing. Of the many innovations offered by micro-brewing I find this one of the best. And yet, really it is a spiced porter which probably is a very old idea. Everything old is new again.

Gary

Enthusiast

http://tinyurl.com/yc56ysh

An FYI. Next month Boulevard (Kansas City) will release their new Rye on Rye smokestack series, a rye ale aged in used Templeton rye barrels.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Yesterday at a local commercial-oriented pub, Czechvar on draft, the Czech beer that is called Budweiser Budvar in certain markets. I gather it is getting increased distribution in North America, via I believe InBev.

The beer was super-fresh and had that inimitable flavour that combines Saaz hops with Moravian barley malt but with a twist unique to this brewery, which I would characterize as a vinous, white wine-like taste. This is one classy beer. There are some pilsener-style beers in North America that are as good IMO including ones made by Stoudt and Victory but this Czech original sets a high standard indeed.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-24-2010 at 14:03.

Novice

Had the 2009 Vintage Left Hand oak-aged Imperial stout last night...soooo good. Hit up the a specialty store in Charleston today for the very limited (only 50 bottles, 1 per person) Founders Reserve Breakfast Stout today. Super rare stout that is aged in used bourbon barrels, THEN aged in used maple syrup barrels. My buddy got number 47, I got number 48...glad i didnt get there 5 minutes later! I'll post about it when I decide to crack it, may be a very special occasion brew

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I just had one of the Kirkland Signature (Costco) Amber Ale. Like the others I have tasted from this assortment, it is superb. These are some of the best beers I have ever had, not even considering the reasonable price.

Tim
    Tim, I picked up a case of this last week on your recommendations, and am working my way through them. I agree with you, they really are quite good. My case was $18. I have really been enjoying the Amber Ale and the German Lager particularly.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

It's a cold, rainy, dreary day here in California - so I am sitting down by the fire reading Craft of Whiskey Distilling by Bill Owens and enjoying a
    Yorkshire Stingo Ale from Sam Smith -- dark and rich with slight toffee, dried fruit and a very little oak taste.
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!