Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

Enjoying Terrapins the Dark Side at the moment...been on such a imperial stout kick lately. Ehh, the passion will fade once the weather starts gettin warmer, so may as well enjoy em

Virtuoso

Bell's Hopslam, which apparently survived the Tuesday contest (and it really is no contest; I am very disappointed with the current version of New Albanian's Hoptimus), followed by New Albanian's Bonfire of the Valkyries.

Guess where I am, Timothy.

Tonight I hope to make it to Flanagan's in Louisville for the C1 event, but we'll see how it goes.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I almost picked up this beer today at Trader Joe's. How is it? By the way, our winter has been anything but mild, with loads of snow and extended periods of sub-freezing temps. I've had to drink lots of high octane juice this winter to keep the old bones warm.
    Highly recommended! Fairly rich, but not really heavy. We've had another blast of cold after several very mild weeks. Maybe I'm not drinking enough of it...
    craig

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcoming the Weekend with a Bell's Hopslam, followed by a Fat Tire. Talk about two very different beers. Not sure I drank them in the right order, but I enjoyed them both. The Hopslam is really wonderful.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

I enjoyed the Hopslam a lot. It may require developing a tolerance for, I mean an appreciation of heavily hopped beers. It was surprisingly smooth and drinkable considering the hop impact and the high alcohol. I got a lot of grapefruit.

Disciple

Nugget Nectar from Troeg's. It's been a while since I had this one. MIGHTY TASTY!! Kind of like a DFH 90 minute, with all the hop flavor, without the sweetness.

Enthusiast

Well IPA's are big in the frig this weekend. Smuttnose IPA, 2 from Lagunitas> Maximus which is way up on the hoppy scale and Lil sumthin Extra. The latter of the two is King. I also cracked open a Meantime India Pale. bottle conditioned. Man I love bottle conditioned beers. I also had a Imperail Russian stout and and Imperial India Pale Ale from the Grumpy Troll brew house in Mount Horeb, WI. Fresh berr gotta love it!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I'm welcoming 5:00 with an Atlanta Brewing Company's Red Brick 15th Anniversary Ale. This Special Release is their regular Brown Ale that has been aged 13 months in Pappy Van Winkle bourbon barrels. Mighty delicious. Very creamy, but not syrupy, and nicely carbonated. A subtle sweetness that I think is a result of the PVW barrel interaction. Very, very nice. I don't drink a lot of the Atlanta Brewing's beers, as I gravitate more towards Sweetwater as my home town fave. But, I'll definitely be exploring their regular offerings more, after this.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

One of my highlights of the year is the release of the new SN celebration ale at our government store. That was February 1, but I did not have the beer until today. Very heavy and good as usual and a terrific food beer totally different from SNs other normal strength IPA torpedo. I did also have one of my favourite Swedish normal strength porters that also were a new release. idjit from Dugges in Gothenburg that has a very special liquorish house stile on there dark beers.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

Great Lakes Blackout Stout and Nosferatu Ale. mmmmmmmmm...........