Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Tom, are your products sold at any specialty stores in KY (Party Source, etc.) or is distribution limited to the NY area? Your 80% rye aged in smaller barrels and finished in used sherry casks sounds like a great product!

Connoisseur

Re: Anyone try the new Mckenzie rye whiskey?

I think Jay Erisman just took it on. But I do not know if he has product yet. My hands are full with making it. I will find out and let you know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I think Jay Erisman just took it on. But I do not know if he has product yet. My hands are full with making it. I will find out and let you know.
    That would be awesome TM. I just ordered from another source and should have the Rye and Bourbon in hand next week. Would prefer to order thru Party Source whenever possible as Jay and Company are great! The more choices they have, the more I order.

I look forward to trying your expressions and thanks for popping into this forum with info and basic chat!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Advanced Taster

Well, I finally went out and bought this bottle of Mckenzie Rye. Why, oh why, did I wait so long to give this one a taste?

I have to say, this is the first rye whiskey that's had a biscuity, rye bread/Irish soda bread flavor up front. The flavor then fades into something reminiscent of opening a box of lipton black tea and taking a nice deep breath. There is a restrained rye spiciness, perhaps a bit minty, and a moderate finish ending up with a nice soft dryness. This isn't a bold, spicy rye, but very elegant and well balanced.

In conclusion, If you haven't tried this yet in fear of it being a young whiskey, put your fears aside and buy a bottle! I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Tmckenzie, please keep up the good work over there at FLD, and thank you for such a unique product.

Eric

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    Well, I finally went out and bought this bottle of Mckenzie Rye. Why, oh why, did I wait so long to give this one a taste?

I have to say, this is the first rye whiskey that's had a biscuity, rye bread/Irish soda bread flavor up front. The flavor then fades into something reminiscent of opening a box of lipton black tea and taking a nice deep breath. There is a restrained rye spiciness, perhaps a bit minty, and a moderate finish ending up with a nice soft dryness. This isn't a bold, spicy rye, but very elegant and well balanced.

In conclusion, If you haven't tried this yet in fear of it being a young whiskey, put your fears aside and buy a bottle! I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Tmckenzie, please keep up the good work over there at FLD, and thank you for such a unique product.

Eric
    Thanks man. I am keeping at it. You are right about the tea, you get it big time over the fermenter.

Advanced Taster

I would have attributed the tea taste to tannins from barrel aging, but if you're smelling it in the fermenter then is it a product of the grains/mash?

Eric

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    I would have attributed the tea taste to tannins from barrel aging, but if you're smelling it in the fermenter then is it a product of the grains/mash?

Eric
    It is from the mash not the barrel. There are a lot of hiney notes i get too. It is in the mash as well.

Enthusiast

Just noticed McKenzie Rye hit Party Source! Congrats to Tom and anyone nearby that hasn't had the pleasure of trying it yet. I hope Leopold Bros. is the next to make its way into KY.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Just noticed McKenzie Rye hit Party Source! Congrats to Tom and anyone nearby that hasn't had the pleasure of trying it yet. I hope Leopold Bros. is the next to make its way into KY.
    Hasn't reached Georgia yet so I recently got a bottle shipped from NY (Batch 13/2013).

McKenzie Rye 2.JPG

Liked it very much and so I got the bourbon and pot still whiskey recently to try as well. Will have to work those into the rotation soon!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Please let us know when it hits the shelves in the big city.