Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Anyone try the new Mckenzie rye whiskey?

If it is even as close to being as good as the bourbon samples Ingot last year, it will be fantastic. One of the small guys doing things right!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advanced Taster

Is that pricing of $40 for a full 750? I hope so, I would be willing to give it a try at that price at least once. I saw the earlier reference to trying to keep prices down referring to "some guys charging $50 for a 375" or something referring to other NY craft distillers. While that may be true, I would stay clear of believing you're under current market prices just because you didn't pull the crap that HUDSON has. I will never buy a hudson product because of their prices, many others agree. When they're trying to charge $42 for a 375ml of CORN whiskey...you aren't offering a great product to supporters, you're price gouging fools who fall for your scam. This Finger Lakes Rye nowever I will be willing to try at least one bottle of this rye if its around $40. I know its in pa on our state site, but I think its slightly higher than $40. EDIT- just checked, its $45 for a 750mL. A bit high for a young whiskey but maybe next pay i'll give it a try if I don't encounter anything else.
    Last edited by jmj_203; 06-19-2014 at 05:21.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jmj_203 View Post
    A bit high for a young whiskey but maybe next pay i'll give it a try if I don't encounter anything else.
    Well, for what it's worth, the bottles and samples I've had didn't taste young. The earliest batches of bourbon and rye that I tried (2011 or maybe early 2012) had those unfortunate small barrel notes, but the wheater (actually, I don't know if it was their wheat whiskey or wheated bourbon) and bourbon aged in full-size barrels tasted pretty mature to me.

Also FWIW, the rye is unlike any other whiskey I've had. I get a lot of tea (already mentioned) and squash notes from it.

Advanced Taster

I have a bottle of 2013. Forget which batch. I really like it and will get more.

Guru

Yeah, they're 750s, wish the cost was less than $40 but at that price I would spring for a bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Just picked some up today. It is batch 15 from 2013 and I really enjoy it. A good floral rye upfront with a smooth dark chocolate finish.

Enthusiast

I picked up a special order of McKenzie rye (17/2014) & whiskey (13/2013) in May. Nobody (well, my usual stores in WashDC) had it on the shelf or in the "cabinet" back then but at least one other store does now. About $45 plus tax per 750ml (put the receipt in the tax box which isn't handy so don't remember precise cost). I will be opening the rye in the next couple of days when I'll have a couple of no-plan evenings so I can spread out the tasting.

Virtuoso

Just picked up a bottle of batch 12/2013 and had a small pour. It is full and round on the palate, great mouthfeel, rye spice balanced nicely with the sweet notes from the barrel and corn. I don't know what the average age is on this batch, but my initial impression is that it is very well-balanced/well integrated. Seamless transitions from attack through mid-palate to the finish.

If this is what low distillation proof/low barrel entry proof can produce at a young age, wow, keep going. What a great way to differentiate your products. Sometimes barrel finishes can stand out, but if I didn't read that this is finished in NY sherry wine barrels, I wouldn't have picked it up. Really well done.
    Mark

Disciple

Excellent notes!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Excellent notes!
    Yep, I agree! I am really looking forward to try McKenzie products. I don't believe they are available in Indiana.